 Off-Topic / Debate / 15009
Re: The *real* Phantom Menace and the fall of the republic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 23:46:13 GMT

Speaking of reading, I suggest the anthology  _An American Primer_ (Daniel
J. Boorstin) for basic readings.

Want Washington's Inaugral Address (to Congress) and Farewell Address?
Jefferson's? John Adams' "What do we mean by the American Revolution?" Never
read the "Monroe Doctrine"? How about Turner's "The significance of the
frontier in American history".  Einstein's letter to Roosevelt? Brown v.
Board of Education? This is a diverse collection of 81 things including an
extensive section on the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.
It's one of the most useful books in my library next to the dictionaries.

There are introductory essays to each. Helpful for background information as
well as a critical discussion.

More samples: Abraham Lincoln gets 4 documents. Making an appearance are
Franklin, Hamilton, Andrew Jackson, Emerson, Oliver Wendell Holmes,
Elizabath Cady Stanton, Mary Baker Eddy, Ulysses S. Grant.  Some poetic
entries: Battle Hymn of the Republic, and Emma Lazarus "The New Colossus."
The essay on the latter is especially interesting as it explains how
Lazarus' poem went from obscurity to fame as the national myth of the Statue
of Liberty was created.

Some other entries: Wanamaker "On the Department Store", Sullivan "The Tall
Office Building Artistically Considered", Edison "On the Industrial Research
Laboratory."  And many many things I've not yet read or heard of...

One application of this book is to read past Inaugural Addresses before
hearing one of our modern, mealy-mouthed deliveries. I remember being at a
Clinton Address party in 1993 where it was a breath of fresh air.

I'm fond of my hardback copy 'cause it was previously owned by Army Air
Defense Command, Ent Air Force Base (closed).