 Off-Topic / Debate / 14998
Re: The *real* Phantom Menace and the fall of the republic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:58:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Grubber writes:
Hi all,
I have been observing recent events in the world, and i just
have to say, the governments in some of the major western powers
(UK, Canada, and especially the US)have lost their marbles completely.

You mean over the past hundred years?  It seems to me that today is the natural
evolution of a hundred years of incrementally giving up the American way.

If citizens are dumb enough to allow their governments to trample
liberties, set up secret military tribunals, use broad definitions
of terrorists, detain without charges or trial, then they are as
big a bunch of brain-dead mouth-breathing sheep as i feared.

Yeah.  From my informal discussion over the past two months, most people don't
really seem to understand why these issues are even important.

oh no, the givernment can do no wrong, they are acting in our best interests.

This really is a troubling trend.  I stil work in a place where heated comments
will ensue if I make comments that mildly disparage our national policy.  All
hail Lord Bush is more popular.

What a bunch of damned sheep.  Wake up people.  Those in power look out for
number one- themselves.

You're ranting to the wrong crowd...we all agree with you.

Do you really think the UK and US government gives a rats ass about the people
in afghanistan?

I don't think that governments are capable of such concern.  Only people are.
And surely some of the people in our government _do_ care about the Aghanis.
But our interest is prime.

They don't realize that Bin Laden has already won- we have
given away the freedoms we cherish,

I'm not sure that matters as to whether or not we should be bombing in Asia.
Agree that he gave us a thumping and we're sore from it, but I think we are
actually seeing to it that he's both won and lost.

out of fear, and we are creating the next
generation of bin Ladens right now, by bombing the hell out of a nation that

Shhh! Don't say that.  IF people start believing that then we'll have more
"kill 'em all" sentiments being expressed.  We _could_ just kill everyone that
might be a future terrorist.  That would take care of that problem, no?

I expect to hear any day that the emperor (whoops, i mean the
'president') has dissolved the senate, and that the regional
governors are now in direct control of their systems.

Now that would make it interesting times.

Ben Franklin said (paraphrased) that "those who would sacrifice freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security."  Guess what folks?  There is a
time coming when we are going to have neither.  First though, we are going to
have the peace of the jailer- the Police states of America.

Not if we don't want to.  Prepare for the coming guerilla war and you won't
ever know the "peace of the jailer."

I can't believe that I am actually thinking about switching my opposition to
gun control and the NRA- it appears that we may have to exercise the right to
bear arms at some point in the coming years, as the government gets more and
more out of control.

The NRA is wimpy.  I'm just let my seven years of membership lapse because
they're cowardly in their stance.  I will spend the rest of the time that I
inhabit the US owning firearms -- any that I please, regardless of law, because
I hold my rights in my own hands.  If you trust your rights to others they will
alwayse be squeezed.  Learn guns.  Get guns.  Use guns.  The NRA has nothing to
do with it.

Chris