 Off-Topic / Debate / 15008
15007  |  15009
Subject:
Ack, I deleted the subject line without having a good replacement.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 22:54:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
*Actually*, to be fair, the "American Way" as you define it is *much* more
omnipresent in the Declaration of Independence than in the Constitution.

   Sorry, but this made me arrrrggh:  "more omnipresent".  "Omni-" means
   "all," making it redundant.  Of course, *I* knew what you meant, but
   I'm just an omnidork.

Man, can I relate to this sentence. Here in Israel the general reaction to
the September 11th events - the first-off, kneejerk reaction was: "Now
they'll finally know what we've been talking about for so long." Regardless
of the later reactions, the first thought was "now the U.S. has tasted some
terrorism. They'll understand now."

   Unfortunately we're still in the mindset of "with enough safeguards
   we can protect ourselves and make this never happen again," because
   unlike what happened in Jerusalem about an hour ago, we haven't had
   anyone blowing themselves up on a crowded street (yet).  So I can't
   say that the US "understands" the way that Israel does--we probably
   never will, because of sheer geopolitics.

   best

   LFB