 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 995
Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 23:31:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Erik Olson writes:
Wow. I was excited to see this, but, it looks yucky. The Buckleberry ferry
set has neat lanterns, if they detach. I would try these out to see if the
details can be reusable. But: these sets have no soul. They don't even have
three walls!

FYI, the Tolkien Society (the J.R.R. Tolkien estate), is totally uninvolved
in this merchandising. New Line Cinema acquired the movie rights from other
parties, I don't know how the toy rights are tied in but last time it was
Elan. I guess it's all legal now. The Tolkien family are mortified by the
latest turns, and have been stalked by crazy fans and driven into hiding,
anonymity, and expatronymy.

Don't be a crazy fan.

-Erik

(playing with his LOTR puzzles from 1979)

I am sorry to hear that the Tolkien family are having trouble.  Tolkien
himself would have greatly disapproved of all of the toy sets.  He liked the
images generated by his work to reside in the minds of his readers, not by
the forced domination of an outside illustrator or the author.  His own
excellent illustrations were mostly sketches of mountain passes, forests,
and a few large buildings or cities.  He rarely drew human (elf, hobbit)
figures, and never the faces of his characters.

I, on the other hand, would have loved some Lego style LOTR minifigs.  The
sculpted monstrosities from the Intellibox LOTR sets are another matter
entirely.