 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1390
Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:32:21 GMT

I emailed Playmates Toys asking if there were new sets.  I got a reply
saying that no, the LOTR sets were out of production but Toys R Us might
still have them. Silly me, of course they would not tell me about new
product plans, but unless new items from Playmates magically appear this
fall, I would conclude they are done.

It turns out Marz have been re-listing the Starter Set for pre-order since
at least June (Google cache.) It might not actually be real SKU but only a
phantom of a cancelled product.

ToyMania had reported these way back, along with block buckets that never
made it to stores (probably they would be cancelled if stores were not
interested.)

http://www.toymania.com/features/lotrmerch.shtml

"Currently planned are four sampler sets (80-85 blocks and 2 figures each),
three basic sets (180-185 blocks and 2-3 figures each), four block buckets
(with 250 blocks and seven figures each), two basic electronics sets (350
blocks and 4-6 figures each) and a deluxe electronics set of the Mines of
Moria, with 420 blocks and 4 figures. There will be 41 small figures in
total for all the sets and the characters should be interchangeable from
each set to another."

Obviously we got the three, the two, and the one Mines of Moria-- but not
the four block buckets, and not the four samplers.

-Erik