 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1087
Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:46:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Kevin Johnston writes:
(Note follow-ups.)

I've seen a couple mentions recently on various newsgroups that Playmates Toys
had a "construction toy" license for Lord of the Rings.  Never saw any concrete
info, though Playmates has an "Intelli-Blox" logo on their website (not backed
up by anything, when I checked recently).

Today at an indie toy shop (Talbot's in San Mateo, CA, south of SF) I found two
of six planned sets.  They are indeed part of an "Intelli-Blox Construction
System" from Playmates, and licensed from the movie.  The packaging is a
straightforward flat box, with figures mounted in a little window, and uses the
same green-and-yellow style artwork as the Toy Biz movie action figures.

I picked up both medium-size sets ($30 ea.); shown are three smaller sets
(guess: $12-15 ea.) and one large set (guess: $60).  They are an odd combination
of Lego and Block Men, with a Simpsons/Fisher-Price electronic sound feature
thrown in, if you know what that means (more below).
<SNIP>

In case anyone is interested, I noticed 3 or 4 of these sets at the local WM
today. I think they are a new item just arrived for Christmas. Check your local
WM, they may have them.

Ray