 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1131
Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 07:12:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Erik Olson writes:
Fellowship of the Ring blocks are clearanced at Target today.

I found them at TRU in the Action Figure area, $20 for the small sets.
Target had them next to the clone brands across from Lego. $10.40 for the
small sets (reg $15.) (Battle at Weathertop, Orc Attack at Amon Hen,
Buckleberry Ferry Escape.)

The special pieces in Weathertop were what I like the most. $5.20 would be a
very attractive price for some unique architectural elements. Really each
set has its good points (note: the bricks are worse than the plates).

As some of us fans were eating Chinese takeout, someone remarked that the
"small tree" seems to be cast from broccoli!

Quiz: Am I incorrect in recalling that the "Battle at Weathertop" set
actually corresponds to the Amon Hen movie scene??? (Must see movie...
fourth time...) Watch for that hooded statue, it's straight out of the
movie. The arch is more like three arches in the movie.

Speaking of watching the movie, I like how things they had no time to
explain have been left as visual details. The best one is the stone trolls,
from Bilbo's adventure. They are on screen briefly when Aragorn makes camp
and tells Sam to find athelas. As for others, Ian McKellen discussing cut
scenes says there wasn't more Galadriel gift-giving filmed (but how would he
know? he was dead) -- so the leaf-brooches of Lorien, and the swan-boat
meeting, are just background details too.