 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 975
  Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(Note follow-ups.) I've seen a couple mentions recently on various newsgroups that Playmates Toys had a "construction toy" license for Lord of the Rings. Never saw any concrete info, though Playmates has an "Intelli-Blox" logo on their website (not (...) (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

Here is a link (URL) depending on the quality of the peices castle fans that don't mind clone bricks will like these. I personally think the stone gargoyle peices are very niffty. As far as set design and the use of "block bottom action figures"... (...) (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) ISENGARD CAVERNS!!!???!!!! I guess I'll save myself the cost of a ticket. . . TWS Garrison (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) Thanks for the link--my watchful web filters here at work weren't letting me go to www.playmates.com, and I didn't know where else to look! Dave! (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) The Block-Men site no longer exists, and I have a sense that the manufacturer dropped the product line. There's no indication on the website at (URL) that Block-Men are still made. Browsing the instructions online, I notice that the 8x16 (...) (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) Dig deeper... they have posted .pdfs of their instructions!!! Derezzed so that you couldn't publish them as your own, of course. But this is pretty amazing, I think. Brickshelf management team: Call your lawyer. :-) (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) Hmmm, As a result of sensitvity to recent news events, or for other reasons? (...) Shame they won't be over here in the UK... :-( (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) I think if 'they' have provided the instructions to thier models then we should make use of them somehow. Ok. Hands up anyone who thinks building a mini-fig version in ML-Cad will cause problems? Alex (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) I believe Tolkien conceived of caverns under the tower of Isengard, remember when Gandalf instructed Treebeard to let in water to fill up all the caves and caverns underneath the tower so Saruman could not escape? Regardless, the sets look (...) (23 years ago, 12-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) The site's been down for a few months, so I don't think it's a response to any recent developments. I never noticed Block-Men to be a particularly brick seller; it seems likely that a tepid market was sufficient to kill the product line. Dave! (23 years ago, 13-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) Not only do I think that someone should build a mini-fig version(s), but also if the people are right, and the sets are substandard, then design a legoized LotR with a more realistic set-up. Benjamin Medinets (23 years ago, 13-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

Wow. I was excited to see this, but, it looks yucky. The Buckleberry ferry set has neat lanterns, if they detach. I would try these out to see if the details can be reusable. But: these sets have no soul. They don't even have three walls! FYI, the (...) (23 years ago, 13-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) I'm not so sure. The Prancing Pony set seems to include more actual bricks than all the Potter sets combined. When was the last time LEGO released an actual structure made of actual bricks, rather than a handful of 1x2x5's, or the equivalent? (...) (23 years ago, 15-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) Well, that is a good point. It is pretty sad when one set of Intellibox or whatever for $30.00 has more bricks than the $189.00 combined Harry Potter universe on S@H. My favorite thing about Lego is the minifigs, and those sculpted (...) (23 years ago, 15-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) I am sorry to hear that the Tolkien family are having trouble. Tolkien himself would have greatly disapproved of all of the toy sets. He liked the images generated by his work to reside in the minds of his readers, not by the forced domination (...) (23 years ago, 15-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) Yeah, from what I've heard, they're just about as awful as they could be. The only mitigating factor might be merchandising rights; what company owns the minifig licensing? If it's not Playmates, then I can see why Intelli-Blox can't make (...) (23 years ago, 16-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) A clone zealot, are you? Do you have the Tyco castles from the 80's? (23 years ago, 16-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) A bunch of bits and pieces, but no whole sets. I have a Coko castle that looks like an ice cream parlor. Does that count? Dave! (23 years ago, 16-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) How menacing. It must intimidate potential invading armies:) I have the black Tyco castle, but missing some parts. It has pink window frames, but other than that is pretty menacing. The boss minifig has only one eye (or maybe it is a helmet (...) (23 years ago, 16-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) This from a text brought to my attention today: "Of course, there is no way of knowing what Tolkien would have thought of such newly written texts. It can hardly be doubted that if he ever returns from the dead, he will soon be busy with a red (...) (23 years ago, 10-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) Well, if Middle-Earth can survive those awful rotoscope animations of the 70's, then there's little damage to be done by a live-action production. Peter Jackson is an actual director with a talent both for the fantastical and for character (...) (23 years ago, 11-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) We got one already. Monsters Incorporated is great. (well, it's more slapstick SF than it is pure fantasy, I suppose.) I LOVED all the sight gags in it. Mike's car, for instance. Recommended. (23 years ago, 11-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) <SNIP> In case anyone is interested, I noticed 3 or 4 of these sets at the local WM today. I think they are a new item just arrived for Christmas. Check your local WM, they may have them. Ray (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

Fellowship of the Ring blocks are clearanced at Target today. I found them at TRU in the Action Figure area, $20 for the small sets. Target had them next to the clone brands across from Lego. $10.40 for the small sets (reg $15.) (Battle at (...) (23 years ago, 26-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) Yeeeek! Best Lock will suck at best. Those Best Lock sets look great but are not very good in the brick quality dept. -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) As of this afternoon the LOTR sets appeared to be 50% off. The above sets were $7.40. Prancing Pony Inn was $14.90 IIRC (no guarantee-- in another post I gave wrong prices-- sorry). If the small sets last to $4.94 I will give them a try. (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) They'd definitely be worth buying at that price--the brick quality is quite good, and the SPUD-ish pieces are pretty cool in their own right. Admittedly, the pre-formed rock pieces aren't very versatile, but the gargoyle and beige statue (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) The special pieces in Weathertop were what I like the most. $5.20 would be a very attractive price for some unique architectural elements. Really each set has its good points (note: the bricks are worse than the plates). As some of us fans (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

Wondering if Intelliblox has plans for another round of LOTR sets, I notice our friend Marz Distribution listing a "Starter Set" for August 2002 pre-order. Its shelf price looks about $12. Last year we got 3 $20 Sampler Sets, 2 Deluxe $30-40, and (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

I emailed Playmates Toys asking if there were new sets. I got a reply saying that no, the LOTR sets were out of production but Toys R Us might still have them. Silly me, of course they would not tell me about new product plans, but unless new items (...) (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) Did you (or anyone) actually get the Mines of Moria? As I understand it the baseplate can electronically activate the figs to talk, and I was wondering how the voices sounded (usually voices on items like that sound so dorky I can't stand it). (...) (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Careful what you wish for: clone LOTR blocks sighted

(...) I have it but have never put the batteries in to see how they sound. I'll try to remember to make mention of it at such a time as I do. One interesting thing about the set is that the manual includes a list of all the lines spoken by the (...) (22 years ago, 15-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)