 MediaWatch / 851
Re: Brick Testament site linked with child porn case??!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:06:41 GMT

What is most disturbing about this story is the blatant attempt to link the
Brick Testament and child pornography. This article claims that this
gentleman was arrested on suspicion of possessing child pornography, then
proceeds to give the example of The Brick Testament and Russian Brides,
irony is both sites are completely devoid of pornography. I don’t see it as
offensive or anything we should be angry at, just really moronic. This
reporter could just as easily reported that this gentleman had logged onto
ebay, which also sells adult material.

I would however agree with her assessment of the Brick Testament as a
twisted version of the Bible, and I doubt Brendan would disagree. The Rev.
definitely has put his own unique spin on our classic tales, while remaining
very close to the biblical cannon. As a deeply religious person I find
Brendan’s work highly creative rather than offensive, although I wouldn’t
forward the link to my in-laws. However, this isn’t a discussion of
Brendan’s personal spin on the Bible or his religious views at all, it is
about sensationalist journalism (which I understand is not all that uncommon
in the UK, someone correct me if I’m wrong).

Scott

In lugnet.mediawatch, James Trobaugh writes:
This is very weird how they grouped the Brick Testament site along with the
other offensive material...I guess I better purge my cache at work! Seems
like they have blown this way out of proportion at this poor guys expense
(or they were just looking for something to get him on)

jt