 MediaWatch / 844
Re: Brick Testament site linked with child porn case??!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 05:52:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.mediawatch, James Trobaugh writes:
This is very weird how they grouped the Brick Testament site along with the
other offensive material...I guess I better purge my cache at work! Seems
like they have blown this way out of proportion at this poor guys expense
(or they were just looking for something to get him on)

jt

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100localnews/page.cfm?objectid=12488136&method=full&siteid=50002

I assume that "icBirmingham" (Oh, that is clever!) is not one of the
stronger bastions of respectable journalism in the UK. In any case, I sent
the following letter to the editor. It's couched in the usual over-assertive
letter-to-the-editor style that seems the only way to get past the sub-editors.

to: johnmarsden@icbirmingham.net
from: kyle_beatty@yahoo.com
subject: Brick Testament Hardly Questionable: Do Your Homework, Fionnula Bourke

SIR:

The article linked below is a disgraceful example of the misuse of
journalistic privilege.

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100localnews/page.cfm?objectid=12488136&method=full&siteid=50002

Your reporter evidently did not have time to actually visit all the
"questionable internet sites" mentioned in the article or she would have
discovered that the "twisted biblical tales" in the Brick Testament are only
as twisted as their source material. The Bible.

Are we to understand that the Sunday Mercury has taken a positive dislike to
the Bible? Or just religiosity in general? Or just to sites linked from the
web pages of the accused? And therein is the great flaw of the story. Your
reporter was evidently fed information about the accused's web site and
based on her preconceptions surrounding that case and the descriptions of
the links determined on her own their status as "questionable."

The briefest perusal of the Brick Testament would reveal that the ratings
are put in place not as signposts to salaciousness, but as a means of
protecting more sensitive visitors. Like any tool, the ratings can be
misused, or in this case, used as a litmus test for the character of your
reporter. I can only conclude that she was assigned to that particular
unfortunate story because she has a knack for believing the worst of
everything in addition to being a rather lazy journalist.

Although I note that she found nothing offensive to report about Thomas the
Tank Engine. Perhaps, again, she is not trying hard enough.

Sincerely,
Kyle Beatty