 Marketplace / Theory / 1770
Re: Streamlining the parts selling process
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:10:07 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
What you see when you go to Mike Stanley's store is what's left after all
the big buyers in GoB have picked it over. A lot of the good stuff doesn't
make it out to the public because we snap it up.

This discussion is getting me thinking about how to clear out some of
the parts overstock I'm experiencing. I have not typically been buying
sets to break down for parts, but there are some types of parts which
are probably desireable that I have tons of. Large orders would
certainly make it easier for me to get going on selling stuff.

One question is how to easily connect with what people are looking for.
In the past, I have only dealt with a couple parts sales. One of my best
sales occured because Larry coincidentally put out a modestly sized want
list right at the time I was dealing with a bunch of 5978s bought to
break up for sale, and also happened to be dealing with my KBKids
shipment of 20 6444s. Larry's want list included a lot of parts from
6444 which I didn't particularly need. Another time, Steve Bliss (I
think) was looking for the trellis pieces from a small Belville set,
which I happened to want the arched fence pieces from. Steve's offering
price for the trellises was good enough that I placed a S@H order for
the sets and sent Steve off his parts, and added the rest to my
collection for a reasonable price.

Another issue is that much of my overstock is sorted into my parts bins.
That means I can no longer guarantee it is new (but I could fulfill
parts orders as "like new" since 95% of the parts are new [and I've
started putting bricks and basic plates from used sets into a "used"
bucket instead of my parts bins]).

There are definitely parts which if I got clued into a bulk need for,
would be worth my while to dig up. I know that my collection is huge
compared to many, but it is interesting seeing people talk about parts
which they don't have enough of, which I'm running out of ways to sort
and store. A top contender in this area is large black and grey plates.
I'm actually passing on those cheap plates parts packs because I just
don't need more plates (though I could probably buy them, sell off most
of the parts and get free Darth Mauls and a small army of black minifig
heads). The only large black and grey plates which don't immediately get
dumped into the overflow bin are large 6xN plates (and even those I
probably have more than I need of). Smaller plates are also starting to
overwhelm me.

I'm also imaginging that I'll be selling some lots on eBay for
approximately shipping cost just to avoid having to decide to throw away
parts in low demand.

On the flip side, I haven't bought many individual parts recently. Even
AucZilla which has been my largest source of individual part buys (as
opposed to mixed parts lots bought on eBay which are most of what I buy
these days on eBay) is getting pretty small purchases from me. One
factor is that I am still in sorting mode, so don't have specific needs,
but another factor is ease of use. It just isn't easy to "browse" for
parts.

Perhaps an interesting search option on Brickbay would be to be able to
enter a list of parts you know you don't want, and then pick a category
of parts, and see all the parts in that category which aren't on your
don't want list.

Of course it also probably isn't a bad thing that I'm not buying many
parts. I had even practically sworn off eBay, but happend to look there
at a moment when someone was clearing out a huge collection of older
parts. Then another seller jumped in also (interestingly, both of these
folks are in Canada). I've been buying large quantities of older parts
which I've known I've wanted, but wasn't willing to pay outrageous sums
for old space sets to get. Now I've been buying lots with a significant
number of angled windows and other such nifty parts, to the point now
where I'm really slowing down on buying those.

Well, enough rambling on about that. I'll be watching these discussions
with interest.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com