 Marketplace / Theory / 1780
Re: Streamlining the parts selling process
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 06:03:14 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
What you see when you go to Mike Stanley's store is what's left after all
the big buyers in GoB have picked it over. A lot of the good stuff doesn't
make it out to the public because we snap it up.

Wow, I was glancing back through this thread intending to offer my methods
for sorting and storing inventory (nothing special - just how I do it) when
I noticed this.

That sounds real bad, and I'd really rather Larry hadn't put it quite that
way - it sounds to me like all I'm selling to the larger public is junk,
which isn't, imo, the case.

I am very glad you have responded to this.  I must say Larry's comment hits
a raw nerve with me.  In my city there is a kmart, a target, a kbtoys, a
walmart,[they don't deserve capital letters] and a Tuesday Morning, the
selection is far from generous.  To have someone make me aware once again
that less is available to me feels like salt in a wound.  Only this time it
is because of my peewee buying power as opposed to my geographic location.

My internal dialogue goes from appropriate for lugnet.rant to lugnet.whine.
At this point, I am trying to decide how many subgroups lugnet.whine should
have if one existed. [ lugnet.whine.market, lugnet.whine.people,
lugnet.whine.off-topic,...] It does mellow me some...  I *know* just being
in the US gives me more access than many, be grateful for what I've got
...blah, blah, blah...nope it doesn't make me feel any better... I am in
prime whine mode...

Of the 117 orders I have had so far at Brickbay, 17 of them have been to GoB
members, which means 100 of them have been to everyone else.  Now of those
17 Larry accounts for 9, and he's certainly my most frequent buyer, which
makes me happy - Larry's tops when it comes to trustworthiness and
dependability.

It is true that I run my stock by my fellow GoB members before I open my
sale to the general public,
but I've noticed over the last few months that
the bulk of my parts are sold after I open my store to the public.

Oh well, probably just me being overly sensitive, but it just struck a
strange cord in me to read that comment that way.

Well, some days I am  more vunerable than others.  I guess today is one of
those days for me.   Reality stinks.  I just don't like to think the *best*
is always beyond of my reach.  I need my illusions...dellusions?

I have to think that the
people who placed the 100 out of 117 orders found something "good" at my
shop or they wouldn't have bought them from me.  That and what one AFOL
thinks is a good part may not be useful to others - and vice versa.

YES!

That having been said, this thread has gotten big, and I'm going to reread
it now, maybe take some pics of my Lego room and inventory setup tomorrow,
and post them.  I can also say that I'm seriously thinking of working
towards offering less than huge quantities on most parts.  I know it works
for the larger buyers, but I've gone from my usual "can you sell just X out
of Y of these" mail that I get once every other week to actually getting two
of them this week alone.  I may not be able to do much with my current
inventory, as it is already sorted and counted and entered, but I'm working
on coming up with a way to incorporate smaller quantities (doubt I'll ever
do onesies or twosies) in my sorting/counting/storing process.

Please think about some smaller quantites.  Sometimes an element is only
available from someone offering a huge quantity or a high minimum.  This
puts it totally out of reach.  It can be very frustrating and disappointing.

Sheree