 Marketplace / Theory / 1782
Re: Streamlining the parts selling process
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:40:35 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:

I am very glad you have responded to this.  I must say Larry's comment hits
a raw nerve with me.  In my city there is a kmart, a target, a kbtoys, a
walmart,[they don't deserve capital letters] and a Tuesday Morning, the
selection is far from generous.  To have someone make me aware once again
that less is available to me feels like salt in a wound.  Only this time it
is because of my peewee buying power as opposed to my geographic location.

Nah, not really.  The bulk of my parts really do go to people making $10-$20
orders.  Part of me wishes the bulk went to a handful of people making
$100-$200 orders, since that would be a LOT easier for me to deal with, but
that just isn't happening anymore - used to, but not anymore.

Well, some days I am  more vunerable than others.  I guess today is one of
those days for me.   Reality stinks.  I just don't like to think the *best*
is always beyond of my reach.  I need my illusions...dellusions?

Guess it depends on how you define "best".  :)  I'm usually amazed at the
stuff that sits for a few days, then gets snapped up.  I really have a small
list of pieces that float around in my head marked "yeah - someone HAS to be
looking for these" and the funny thing is, sometimes those parts sit there
till I blow out the discounts, and stuff I couldn't even think of a use for
gets snapped up right away, by someone.

I have to think that the
people who placed the 100 out of 117 orders found something "good" at my
shop or they wouldn't have bought them from me.  That and what one AFOL
thinks is a good part may not be useful to others - and vice versa.

YES!

:)

Please think about some smaller quantites.  Sometimes an element is only
available from someone offering a huge quantity or a high minimum.  This
puts it totally out of reach.  It can be very frustrating and disappointing.

Smaller quantities I'm sure I can manage.  Lower minimum probably
(definitely) not.  My minimum order is $10 now - which seemed to be the
lowest I could set it and have it still seem ok to tack on an extra $3.20
for priority shipping.  If my minimum were any lower I might have to
consider doing 1st class shipping, and since I've been down that road just
like I went down the onesies and twosies road, I know how much more of a
tremendous headache (timewise and moneywise) it can be.  When I was ordering
books and dvds and such 2-3 times per week and had lots of boxes laying
around it was doable, but I'm so entrenched in the free shipping supplies I
get from the USPS (free tape, boxes, and laser printable labels) that it
would be a nightmare to go back to the "hunt for a box of the right size,
buy some clear tape, print out a label, tape it on the box, etc" routine.  :/