 Marketplace / Theory / 1707
1706  |  1708
Subject:
Streamlining the parts selling process
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:07:02 GMT

I've been thinking on ways to cut down on the time I have to spend doing my
parts sale, and throwing open the doors for feedback & discussion is usually
the best way to do this kind of thing, so...

Brickbay is a fantastic venue.  I'll say that right off the top.  It has
taken the most irritating, error-prone & time-sensitive area of my parts
sale, and automated it. (that being the order confirmation/updating
inventory process)  However, I've noticed that since moving my sale to
Brickbay, my order volume (compared to my inventory) has actually dropped.
I am wondering if other sellers who've moved from their own venue to
Brickbay have noticed a similar effect, or if I'm the odd man out.

What are people willing to share about how they organize their inventory?
I'm looking for ways to get mine organized better, and am thinking of using
clear plastic drawers (the kind everyone's dad uses to keep their nuts &
bolts sorted in the garage).  I'm currently using ziploc bags loosely
organized by (part) color in rubbermaid tubs.  This worked very well for
previous sales, but it became very tedious & time consuming after my
inventory jumped above 5000 parts.  I suspect this was more due to a higher
variety of pieces than straight volume.

I'm thinking of moving to a more "bulk" method - similar to how Mike Stanley
runs his shop - and I was wondering about the pros and cons of that.  The
obvious pro is eliminating an extra counting step, and all the complications
that come with it.

Any input is appreciated,

James