 Marketplace / Theory / 1772
Re: Streamlining the parts selling process
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:49:48 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:
Another issue is that much of my overstock is sorted into my parts bins.
That means I can no longer guarantee it is new (but I could fulfill
parts orders as "like new" since 95% of the parts are new [and I've
started putting bricks and basic plates from used sets into a "used"
bucket instead of my parts bins]).

   Ack, you've started a *second* bin system?  I'm still without
   a clue as to how you store the new stuff in the first place!

Well, part of the problem is that my whole storage system is starting to
break. I will be spending some time this weekend overcoming my
inclination to keep everything, and actually discard a lot of boxes
(Larry and Todd, are you still looking for recycled boxes? I'll be
discarding in large quantities and would be happy to send boxes for the
cost of postage plus possibly a smidgen).

My leaning towers of unopened boxes are dramatically diminishing is one
good thing. I should soon have a much easier time dealing with new sets.

The problem with my parts storage is that there is limited space near my
computer which is my preferred work area. I use a variety of crates,
tubs, buckets, and Plano style tackle boxes to store parts. Parts in
large containers are usually sorted into resealable freezer bags (mostly
the Hefty brand with the plastic slider, but a few Ziploc Slideloc [from
before I figured out the Hefty ones work better]). I have some overflow
near the desk. There is a bucket of red, blue, and yellow 1x2 bricks, a
bucket of red, blue, and yellow 1x4 bricks, a tub half filled with black
and white 1x2 and 1x4 bricks, a box with red, blue, yellow, white, and
black 1x1 bricks, a bucket of red, blue, yellow, white, black, and grey
1x6 bricks, and another of 1x8 bricks. Another bucket holds 2x6 and 2x8
bricks. Another bucket holds 2x2 corner bricks (that actually isn't
overflow, that's primary storage). In another area of the room is a box
with all the extra large plates. Canopies, vehicle parts, cockpits, etc.
no longer live near the main work area.

My apartment looks like a warehouse...

   Incidentally, Frank, your departure from eBay buying hasn't made
   Pirate bits any cheaper.  ;)

Obviously others have rose to take my place. Of course I'd expect prices
to slowly rise, but they could also fall as kids collections start
coming on the market in larger quantities.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com