 Marketplace / Services / 550
Re: $7000+ PayPal Warning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 20:20:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Chris Phillips wrote:
   My guess as to what happened here is something like this: the Buyer on that transaction most likely stole someone’s credit card number and/or identity, set up a PayPal account...

The assumption is that since paypal said there is fraud involved that there is. This is not wise. It plays into paypal’s attempt to pass the blame for the failings of their bogus verification scheme off on their customers. I know because it happened to me, and they called me a crook, too.

There are two possibilities that are more likely than fraud, IMO. The first from personal experience...

Perhaps they tried to contact this buyer to confirm this transaction and their one attempt was unsuccessful. Despite having another phone number, an email address and a mailing address, at least one of which is verifiable with the credit card company, they will make no further attempts at contact, and they will refuse attempts at contact by the seller. They’re the ones now holding the money, so why should they make the effort?

The second possibility seems not unlikely based on stories posted to the complaint sites, if you believe that some of them are true (and I do)...

Perhaps this buyer contested a charge in a paypal transaction, or had one of his sales contested by another buyer. As a result, paypal reversed all transactions this person has ever made through paypal.

It should be noted that merchants get charged a large fee by the CC companies for excessive chargebacks, and paypal has had trouble with Mastercard and Visa over this (they paid fines to both, $105,000 to the latter). There was even a threat by Mastercard to unauthorize paypal. As a result, paypal seems overly aggressive about avoiding chargebacks, and in punishing those who use them, legitimately or not. This, IMO, is passing the failings of their business model off on their customers.

FWIW...

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/gmsv/3627612.htm

Google “mastercard paypal chargebacks”.

Amy