 Marketplace / Services / 535
Re: $7000+ PayPal Warning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:12:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Paul Janssen wrote:
   In lugnet.market.services, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   In lugnet.market.services, Paul Janssen wrote: http://www.landofbricks.com

   Mark, sad, but there is truth to these stories.

Hey, I never said *none* were true - I even said that they do freeze some accounts for protection from fraud.....

   Paypal yanked the funds back. They claimed that the buyer has possibly used fraudulaent funds.

And there ya go - straight from your fingertips. *Any* good CC company will try to protect people from fraud, and that is exactly what was going on. If you buy something and it turns out to be stolen the police will yank it away from you - does that make them thieves?

The police helps you get the info you need to get the money back from the person that got the goods, buy PP in very incooperative, unlike the police.

   I had shipped to the confirmed address, (but no delivery conf.), and received feedback for the order about 1 week after shipment. A good 4 months later the funds were yanked back, and no matter what evidence I provided that it had been shipped (including links to BL feedback etc.), paypal stated I have to follow their “seller protection program” to the very letter.

Sounds like the buyer is the one doing you bad, not paypal. Did he claim you never sent the goods? And if that is what he did (it really sounds like that is what happened) do you really expect paypal to give him back his money an let you keep the money also?

I did ship, and the buyer received! The buyer left me positive feedback. I was even 1 piece short on a used black falcon fortress, which I shipped a few days later, again to the confirmed address. My beef is that a “confirmed” address means nothing apparently. You would think they at least contact the “buyer”, or even file charges, but what I undferstood they do not. So, PP has proof that fradulent funds were used, they have a confirmed address of the fradulent buyer, yet stick it to the seller. They should at least help me get the money back from the buyer by sharing info regarding the fraud, but they don’t. Preventing me from getting it back is also a form of stealing, wouldn’t you say.

If it actually did work like that - could you imagine the
   amount of fraud that will start up? All 2 people have to do is send the other a good amount of money, the ‘buyer’ claims he never got the item - paypal would refund the money to the ‘buyer’ and still let the ‘seller’ keep the money.... heh - that would be an easy way to double your money there.

It is sad, yes - but it is reality. Any major CC company will do the exact same thing - so how does that single out paypal as theives? All a person has to do is calim they never made the purcace to their CC comapny and there is over a 95% chance they will get their money back regardless of the store having proof that the charge is legit.

   I truely believe thet stole it from me.

Who? The ‘buyer’ or Paypal?

Both, the buyer for real (if indeed he used a stolen CC), PayPal in a broader for blocking my chance at getting it back.

It is so easy to reverse CC charges - no matter how much proof the store has it was you. The percentage of chargebacks that get denied are very small. So is this paypal’s fault?

   there is truth to some of these stories,

Yes, I agree some are true - and I bet the vast majority of them are sellers who do not understand this is how *all* CC processors work. And I am sure most stories are missing some very key facts. But like the story that was posted here - not one ounce of supporting evidence - and look at it - it is the #1 topic right now - WITH NO PROOF! If somebody stole $7,000 from me I would make a run to the BBB and any and every news station that would listen - and trust me, ALL would listen and play the story to death like they do with everything.

If somebody stole $7,000+ from you - would you only change the payments you take on ebay? lol, think about it......

Mark

My guess as to what happened here is something like this: the Buyer on that transaction most likely stole someone’s credit card number and/or identity, set up a PayPal account under false pretenses, bought a bunch of stuff, and then took off when the fraudulent credit card charges were noticed by the victim. Even the fact that the buyer left positive feedback is not uncommon in fraud cases; the criminal usually does everything possible to appear to be legitimate for as long as possible.

Sure, PayPal should bear more responsibility to protect you from counterfeit “verified” buyers, but they had a team of lawyers draft their user aggreement, and you sat there squinting at fifteen pages of fine print in your browser with your mouse hovering over the “I Have Read and Accept...” button. Who do you think has the upper hand when it come to the procedurals? Read the fine print of your direct deposit contract with your employer and you will see that they can do the same thing to you if they screw up and decide that they have overpaid you sometime.

I am not a lawyer, but If I were the seller in this case, I would consider taking one or more of the following steps to try to get my money back, although the odds are slim: 1. File a criminal complaint with the local police department in the buyer’s jurisdiction. 2. File a mail fraud complaint with the FBI. 3. File a civil suit against the buyer.

Once the police or the FBI open a criminal investigation, PayPal would presumably have to cough up some information about why they pulled back the funds, although the seller probably won’t see this information anyway. But if it turns out that the goods were purchased with a stolen credit card number, the seller will probably never get their money back. The stolen goods could be returned to the seller if the buyer is aprehended and convicted, but that is one big IF. The burden ultimately rests with the seller to verify the identity of the customer, which is very difficult to do in an Internet sale.

A close friend of mine was the victim of identity theft and bank fraud not long ago. It was absolutely pathetic how unhelpful the financial institution and the local police were in pursuing the criminal, even as this individual continued to use a stolen debit card number and the bank continued to approve the bogus transactions, dropping the burden of proof on the victim every time. The seriousness of identity theft is only beginning to be understood by the law enforcement, and it is unlikely that the seller will ever recoup the stolen goods or the lost funds. The lesson here is that if you’re doing business with someone to the tune of $7,000 (or whatever amount you decide is a lot to lose) you had better find an independent way to verify that they are the person they claim to be. My friend’s identity theft case was first uncovered because a vendor contacted her by telephone when they received a suspicious order by e-mail. The vendor’s vigilance, although commendable, was an act of self-protection.

Even when you are the seller, the rule is still caveat emptor.

- Chris.