 Marketplace / Services / 543
Re: $7000+ PayPal Warning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:37:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Steve Chapple wrote:

Do we have to go back to mailing payment?  Does PayPal need a three
month waiting period or something before use to establish that you're
legitimate?  Is this all just the risk one takes in doing business?
Am I the only one alarmed by this or that this is new to?

  Hi Steve:
    I think that part of the problem is that we're basically forced to discuss
your second-hand report by an anonymous individual regarding an undisclosed
transaction with an anonymous third-party, none of which we can verify with any
degree of certainty.

In http://news.lugnet.com/market/services/?n=533 you asserted that there is no
burden of proof, and now you're upset that no one has taken your warning on
faith?  If it's just a warning, fine...

However, the very format of the warning closely mirrors those panic-alert emails
that circulate about Nigerian bank fraud and other must-read information.  If
any pseudo-formal correspondence uses more than two exclamation points in a
single sentence, you can generally dismiss the correspondence as overblown or
even wholly fraudulent.

I'm not accusing you of dishonesty. I'm simply saying that the original message,
as given, does not appear to be credible.

     Dave!