 Marketplace / Services / 541
Re: $7000+ PayPal Warning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:16:10 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
In lugnet.market.services, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
In lugnet.market.services, Steve Chapple wrote:

If a criminal uses a stolen VISA card to buy a computer from a store,
VISA takes the loss (and passes it on to its other cardholders).

Where did you get that info from? ...It just does not work like that...

Mark is correct.  I did e-commerce setup for a software company a few
years back and had to deal with all the credit card banking things...
Visa does NOT eat the loss.  What's being described here is indeed what
any processor does.  Now, whether Paypal is less helpful to a vendor
who's had his money taken... that I can't say.

If that's the case then why would VISA complain about credit card theft
and say that's one of the reasons their interest rates are so high?  More
to the point, what is the 1.75??% fee for then?  (And why is the PayPal
fee 3% - even higher than the CC fee - for that matter.)  If that's all
just for "processing" and provides no protection from criminal use of CCs,
doesn't that make accepting CCs rather risky - especially over the internet?

It also doesn't jibe with what an upper-level VISA rep. told me when I was
disputing a charge on my card.  She explained that if a merchant gets your
CC info. and puts a charge through, VISA can request clarification/correction
(in case it's an error) but if the merchant doesn't want to give a refund,
it's up to the cardholder to take it up with the merchant.  Apparently the
biggest problem in this area is kids using their parent's credit cards.

SRC
LUGNet#765
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=SRC