 Marketplace / Services / 540
Re: $7000+ PayPal Warning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:21:43 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
In lugnet.market.services, Steve Chapple wrote:

If a
criminal uses a stolen VISA card to buy a computer from a store, VISA
takes the loss (and passes it on to its other cardholders).  If a criminal
uses a stolen VISA card to buy LEGO from my Bricklink store, VISA
should likewise cover it.

Where did you get that info from? If a charge is reversed the money is taken
from the seller and returned to the buyer. What you are claiming is exactly what
I pointed out as an easy way to fraud and double your money. It just does not
work like that, not in any way

Mark is correct.  I did e-commerce setup for a software company a few years back
and had to deal with all the credit card banking things.  If you accept Visa or
any other credit card, you must have a bank account with a certain amount in it
so that if charges turn out to be fraudulent, the credit card processor will go
into it and take the money back.

Visa does NOT eat the loss.  What's being described here is indeed what any
processor does.  Now, whether Paypal is less helpful to a vendor who's had his
money taken... that I can't say.

Peter