 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 2991
Re: SW Part Straight Sale - WAS: (Bulk Sales Proposal - Please Read)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:06:20 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
I did some calculations, it would be between .15 to .20 (USD) a part (This
includes cost, tax, and a small percentage for profit), plus a small amount
forshipping, which I have not yet figured out. Is this a viable price for
people?
Discounts maybe in parts that do not sell as well, I have not yet decided.

I don't want to sound negative, but...
Are you proposing a straight price per part?!!??
I'm certianly interested in a few particular parts from 7150, but at a straight
price per part I'm certain that a WHOLE LOT of other people would be interested
in those parts too!
Then how do you decide who gets the parts.!??

What you're really then running into then is the ageless conflict between the
great-sounding community-minded spirit of Communism (which can't solve
distribution either) and the free-market situation of Capitalism (which
efficiently solves the distribution problem - at a price).

The basic reality of the situation, and what you're proposing, is that you're
better off doing this on EBAY or through one of the other existing forms of
efficient distribution (AUCZILLA, etc).  I'm not saying that you should
necessarily simply auction like every other EBAY auction, but an auction is the
most efficient form of distribution.  And despite your love of LEGO, splitting
up sets takes time, and energy - and lots of it (I've parted out over 1000
sets). You end up spending all your time with the process, and none with the
product.

How does this proposal sound?
1) If you accept that an auction is the most efficient form of distribution,
then:

2) Announce a schedule of auctions for all the parts in a specific set.
ie. Announce on RTL and LUGNET a few days ahead of time:
7101 Auctions begin 11/7 8 p.m. EST and end 11/14 8 p.m. EST and following
7110 Auctions begin 11/7 9 p.m. EST and end 11/14 9 p.m. EST and following
7171 Auctions begin 11/8 8 p.m. EST and end 11/14 8 p.m. EST and following

3) Also specify the configuration of auction lots - ie. minifigs will come
outfitted with all accessories... (note the web address - see below)

4) (This is a bit radical - Who will be the first to try it?) You could simply
list the auction # in the title. Then, in the auction body, provide a link to a
web site with all the lot information in one pre-prepared place.
All auctions start at $0.01.
This would greatly speed up the listing process...
(Hmmm, now I'm really anxious to see someone try this out- just credit me!)

This solves the distribution problem, yet is vastly more efficient that the
current wave of EBAY set splitters.

Regards,
-Jon
Or, if you just want to buy, try my web site:
http://baylit.home.att.net