 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11531
Re: Suggestions / Comments on Recent Brickbay Transactions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:29:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Troy Cefaratti writes:
1) Order Information - A great deal of orders do not have any information
along with it, such as order number, the name of the shop, order contents,

That's fair enough but it should help if you have the persons return address
on the box/package

When Brickbay was sending invoices, i'd send it to myself as well and print
two copies.  One would be used for my records, and one would be used as a
"packing" slip, with each part checked off as I pulled it from inventory.

Now i'm using a print of the order screen, which has less info than the
invoice, but does atleast ahve the order number and all of the parts on it.

The order screen is not as good as "previewing" the invoice and then
printing that... you get printed all the info the invoice has. The only
thing you lack is that the order screen has pictures. But pictures usually
don't matter to me as much. IMHO. YMMV.

Of course, I do sometimes forget to put the slip in the box before sealing
it up.  And it is unfortunately not an assurance that I put the RIGHT parts
in the box!  :/  But buyers are ususally understanding of my faults, for
which i am thankful.  :)

Atleast you admit it!  We all make mistakes and sometimes when you are
dealing with both Brickbay and ebay things can get a bit messy, specially if
there are a few side orders too resulting from original sales, and then you
have to keep an eye on who is sending what and how and when and who is not
returning your emails etc etc.

2) Packing - I have had glass parts (Doors, windshields etc), in which I
have paid a good deal for a them, actually packed within a full, jammed
bag of

How I pack an order depends on what was ordered, and how it will be shipped.
Large quantities of individual pieces are usually packed in seperate
ziplocks.  Expensive pieces are almost always packed individually, or
atleast seperately from basic parts. (I've sold some train pieces for up to
$12 each and would never consider packing them with basic parts)

Small quantities of numerous parts will usually be packed into a single bag.
The bags, while cheap, do cost money.

Packages sent Priority Mail are packed in the boxes provided by the post
office and are packed with newspaper.  First Class shipments are packed in
bubble envelopes from Office Max.  International shipments are also usually
sent in bubble envelopes, unless they are unusually large.

I have had loads of items come through in bubble packs and some just
cardboard packs... only to find almost everytime my items are flatter than
pancakes (boxed items of course).  They are fine for pieces unless they are
bendable and breakable pieces, but solid are ok.

I've only had one complaint about the packing/shipping of my orders, and
that was a priority mail box that had come open in transit losing some
pieces.  This was when the post office had switched box design, and
apparently had a batch with bad glue.  Ever since, i've been sure to use
either tape or a sticker to make sure they stay closed.

I think I tend to use almost half a roll while packing heh.  I like to make
sure the sucker isn't going to come apart or that no-one can make it obvious
they were trying to have a sneak.  I like to pack my items nice and snug so
nothing moves around, but enough room to not be so tight as to squash itself.

One packing nit. I am not at all big on the shredded catalog/flyer style of
packing. It adds weight (a lot of it, that stuff is dense), the shreds have
chaff that gets into everything (I reuse incoming packing boxes for outbound
when I can) and I have actually had small bags get lost in the shreds. I
prefer newspaper. But better than newspaper is unprinted newspaper if you
can get it. You usually can go to your local paper and get a roll end for
almost nothing. Why unprinted? in case a bag comes open you don't get ink on
your parts.

Yeah shredded isn't the finest.  I use foam chips where possible, I pick
these up from other incoming packages or work, or while walking past a shop
that is unpacking stock... good stuff and weights nothing.  Also can be used
to ake sure items don't move and jiggle.  I can't refer to parts much as I
only tend to sell boxed items and not pieces so I am referring to MISB
items.  I do actually use bubble wrap as much as possible too... works a gem
if packed right and costs diddly squat.

I use that or kraft or regular newspaper for all my outbound domestic.
Overseas gets the peanuts and bubblewrap and airbags because that is where
weight is more critical.

I use the same method all round... I tend to pack my products the way I
would like to receive mine, I hate squashed things and I think may as well
do it the right way even if it costs you a small amount, this is better than
having to replace the item or have to deal with the situation further.

Picking the right size box is an art. If you get the box right, you don't
need much packing material to make a snug package. And snug (but not
overstuffed) packages are the ones that hold up best in transit.

yes, and those 'right sized' boxes, if you ask me, seem to come from
Germany!  They have some good sizes! - unlike the few we here get to choose
from (post office style, not to mention the box costs a few bucks almost
even before you add items, nice and strong but too heavy)

++Lar

Mel Brown Brick (Lego Ego - Australia)