Re: visit to Raleigh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 01:38:52 GMT

"sheree rosenkrantz" <srosez@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:FvCMJw.1qr@lugnet.com...

[ ... snippage ... ]

Thanks for the thought.   I'm in NW Greensboro.
Another time Chapel Hill would be fine.   I am willing to make the effort.
Family and house complications right now.
One daughter finishes school the 7th .  The other isn't through until the
14th.    The one finishing on the 7th is going a trip to NY with her Dad • on
the 8th, so there will be lots to do to get them ready.
I am also reluctent to make any commitments until we get our house back
together.  A storm with winds of 82mph+ came through here Thurs. am.
90,000 homes and businesses lost power, me included.   It was just • restored
Sun afternoon.   Significant parts of a once lovely tree landed on my • house
punching a hole in the roof.   I have lived in NC all my life and  in this
neighborhood for 17 years .  I have never seen anything like this before.
Crews from as far away as Ohio have come in to help.  Real heros  in my
opinion.  Trees blocked all the streets leading out of my  area.   We are
fortunate.   2,000 here tonight are still without power.   I have • neighbors
whose homes were condemned  because of damage.  Ours is nothing in
comparison.
I hope to show up in Aug to see the trains.   I may be able to bring a
building to add to the display.   I have to figure out what's appropriate • .
I 'll be asking about this later. maybe even in the correct thread   ;-) • !

sheree

Sounds similar to the aftermath from Hurricane Fran.  We went 10 days
without power after that storm.  Fortunately we didn't suffer any damage to
our house.  75% of the houses in my neighborhood ended up with at least one
tree on the house, how we missed being one of them I'll never know.

Good luck with the clean up.  Life without electricity is no fun.
Especially if you are well water or electric furnace (we have gas so we had
hot water during the power outage and we could cook).

Good luck and hopefully we'll see you in August.

Mike

--

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh