 Local / United Kingdom / 8776
  GWLTS photos

Yesterday, 16:Nov, was the Great Western Lego Train Show (GWLTS). This was a display by the North British Lego train Club of a layout at STEAM the museum of the Great Western Railway in Swindon (UK). Our display received a lot of attention from (...) (22 years ago, 17-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

Excellent layout! I really like this train station: (URL) the roof made of? Robert Powell SCLTC (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) [snip] (...) layout very much: the sparks: (URL) 'apples' (do you call them apples in English as well?) (URL) I 'hate' the red letter days in Windsor... I would love to have these tan windows myself. So far I only saw them in the German (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) That's Tony Priestman's station. They're made from 1x4x3 clear panels bought in bulk 25 at a time. If you've ever tried to use them as train windows you'll know they tend to develop a slight inward curvature that misaligns the top studs, so I (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) carriages with clear panels and tan plates above and below (the dining car still does), but changed them over for the display. Can we persuade LD to make these as a service pack, do you think? Anyway, the structure of the RLD has changed for (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  RLD 2003 'was GWLTS photos'

Little more info about the 2003 advents (...) it (...) Clip from the RLD Book LEGOLAND A Monster Model Making treat for LEGO Fans (...) A Fantastic day at LEGOLand for one child (aged between 8 and 16) and one 'observing' adult, including four hours (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Ok, partly the same here, but Pferde-Apfel (horse-apple) is by far more common.... [tan train windows] (...) I would suggest even a colour mix pack. I need more than tan windows, but in my eyes it is impossible to ask for 8 new train window (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) I suspect the roof brick mix has come about by Brad taking the opportunity to extend the production runs for next year's sets (which of course none of us have seen, so wouldn't know that they are used extensively :) I like the idea of a mixed (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Absolutely brilliant! I particularly liked the old time locomotive (early 4.5V?) with a layout in front of it... great vignette, and a nice goof on where you were. What building was that in? Lots of good British steam too. Looks like another (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Who built the tamper? (URL) superb! My boss, who used to be a P-way engineer, thought it was a real one when saw it from across the office! (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

Just to follow up on this, we made the local press see, (URL) this free advertisiong and Lego didn't even send us some catalogues. We lost count of the number we could have given out. Mark (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:H5s0F8.90M@lugnet.com... (...) I think I can say that a good time was had by all. It was my first participation in such an event, and I loved it. I can't wait for the next one! (...) (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

"Simon Bennett" <simon.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:H5sBu3.HoK@lugnet.com... (...) That was Chris Dee's. It is truly excellent, and Chris will be LDraw-ing it in the near future (eh, Chris... :-) ) Huw (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) include this little beauty <drool>: (URL) James' dark red Fowler and Caerphilly Castle Loco. But really it all looks great, and nice venue, too:-) -John (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

Thanks Robert. The roof is made of clear thinwalls, as available from S@H. There are 16 packs' worth in it = 400 clear elements. Some time ago, I noticed how the thinwalls have a tendency to curve, and I immediately thought of a station roof. It (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) layout in (...) The Museum is in the former Great Western Railway (GWR*) works in Swindon, where many Steam locomotives were built in the heydays of steam, for more information have a look at the STEAM museum website, (URL) BR days the works (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Right. But I meant which building on the layout was the model layout located within. Someone else answered that it was the red station connected by the blue pedestrian bridge. I did read about STEAM and all that earlier. Thanks and congrats (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Hello Larry. The red building is not a station at all - in fact it's a model of the STEAM museum itself with glass curtain-walling to the front elevation combined with a traditional old brick construction. I've not seen any pics from the front (...) (22 years ago, 18-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Oh, did you mean the signal box roof? Well, you'll be able to do black ones soon, at least. (...) Thanks for the comments 'Brian', but, er, who's this "James" guy? ;-) Jason J Railton (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Already did-- I want dark gray! :-) (...) Holy cow, my apologizes, *Jason*! And sorry for the late apology; this post slipped under my radar:-p -John (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

Hello NBLTC members, What a nice modular get-together you all can master. It has grown a lot since the Southport event, where I had the honor of attending together you members of the North British Lego train Club. All those new items. The sloping (...) (22 years ago, 24-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

Hi Manfred, Yes, we are all turning into mobile phone mast geeks! There are so many designs, once you start looking... We acquired some new members for this show, and expanded the layout considerably as a result. I think we put on a great display, (...) (22 years ago, 24-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Did (...) a (...) I've thought of this, but working out how to build a module with a canal and still keep the flexibility of the module system is the challange. The green phone mast is mine, we're seeing more painted masts here now. Mark (22 years ago, 24-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Q- are you meaning a watertight canal? Or just a lego one? I have ideas as to how to manage a watertight one, but haven't done anything about it yet...lack of time. They involve wooden U shaped boxs, fiberglass resin and vasoline to seal (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

I was thinking of a Lego one, a real one with a working boat would be outstanding. I think it should have a glass (perspex) side so you can see underwater! Mark "James Powell" <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) yes, phone masts (cell towers) are cool! (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) I built a boat the other day but it wouldn't float upright even with four airtanks holding it up on outriggers. I tried to motorise it but when I placed the motor on board the whole thing tipped and I had to lift the motor off again before it (...) (22 years ago, 30-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) My idea is to use the blue boat hulls with playmo. motors under them. I've had one pond in a basement before...but this would be more advanced than that. I've also electric taped a motor onto one of the smaller hulls. The problem that I have (...) (22 years ago, 1-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.boats)