 Local / United Kingdom / 2037
Re: Technic Shuttle for £4!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:50:30 GMT

Christopher Lannan wrote:

In lugnet.loc.uk, Mike Stanley writes:
Scott-A <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
I doubt "the yanks"

Is "yanks" insulting. If so oops and sorry.

Of course it is.  I would assume anyone from your side of the pond
would know that already, considering it's your word.

Not that I really care, but I don't see how you could NOT know that.

I'm over here in the states and I din NOT know that. I don't feel insulted.
By "of course" I assume that there is a history in the etymology of the word
that makes it an insult. I think that it's in the eye of the beholder. There
are the NY Yankees. I understand that Yankee Doodle Dandy was originally
supposed to be insulting about us, but we adopted it as our own.

Well, as someone who has moved from Massachusetts to North Carolina, I
can definitely say that Yankee is used down here in a derrogatory (or at
least not complimentary) fashion. Not only do we get accused of
intefering with their state rights back before the turn of the century
(which may be true), but we also get accused of comming down and mucking
up everything now.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com