 Local / United Kingdom / 2024
Re: Technic Shuttle for £4!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:17:46 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Mike Stanley writes:
Scott-A <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
I doubt "the yanks"

Is "yanks" insulting. If so oops and sorry.

Of course it is.  I would assume anyone from your side of the pond
would know that already, considering it's your word.

Not that I really care, but I don't see how you could NOT know that.

I'm over here in the states and I din NOT know that. I don't feel insulted.
By "of course" I assume that there is a history in the etymology of the word
that makes it an insult. I think that it's in the eye of the beholder. There
are the NY Yankees. I understand that Yankee Doodle Dandy was originally
supposed to be insulting about us, but we adopted it as our own.

How about "limey" As i understand it, not really derogatory, just a nickname
from the practice of sailors eating citrus fruits to prevent scurvy.

Brit seems ok, at least more accurate than our practice of calling everyone
from GB "English" I would be offended by that.

Chris