 Local / United Kingdom / 1987
Re: Technic Shuttle for £4!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:36:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Mike Poindexter wrote:

I just placed an order and within minutes, my card had been blocked by
Mastercard for fraudulent activity suspicion.  I did notice that there is no
secure server icon in my IE bar at the bottom of the window, so I am a • little
worried.

How big was it, and was this the first time you've bought from overseas
with this card in that sort of amount when you weren't actually present?

It was not for that much, just 8 of the Technic Space Shuttles.  I had used
this same card for other overseas purchases.  I know I used it for DYA and I
think I used it for Busy Bee as well.  Just kind of odd.

Reason I ask is when I paid for the BusyBee hoppers, Paul and I had a
deuce of a time, we could not get my card issuers to approve the
transaction, I had to call and call and call. We basically had to do it
while I was on the phone with Paul at the same time I was on the phone
with my issuer. Of course that was an over 1000 dollar transaction. Cost
me over 20 USD in LD charges.

These issuers have fraud detection that shuts down transactions from
overseas that seem "suspicious". Usually a good thing although I wish
they'd call me about it instead of just silently shutting it down. I
think Paul was convinced I was a deadbeat (!!) (me?? LOL) at one point.

My mother got pickpocketed in Rome and within 15 minutes the gypsies had
charged over $11,000 on her visa.

This was the second gypsy pickpocketing that my family encountered in Rome.
The time before, two of them tried to pick my father's pockets.  Big mistake.
He was an All-American lineman in college, a former Marine and a professional
rodeo cowboy.  He grabbed each with one hand, threw one down and held him in
place with his boot on his neck while he kept a hold of the other with his
hands.  The cops took too long to get there and they eventually got away.  I
would have loved to have a video of that.  Money in the bank on selling that
one to Europe's dumbest criminals.

BTW, all the rest of you 'murricans are lucky I hang out here in loc.uk
too, I was the first to post this to market.shopping, I think. :-)

Thanks, Lar, but I think that we won't get the goods.  By the way, since I
usually post via the web interface, I catch a view of all the groups, which
doesn't happen when you only use a newsreader.

Mike Poindexter