 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1669
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil... (values of TLC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:23:34 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:

sorry to jump into this thread a week later. I'm basically in lugnet.trains and
at www.1000steine.de/forum/
[snip]
Again, I think you're misinterpreting or misunderstanding what was said.
It's not that TLC's morality or values will be lost because of this alliance,
but that the existence of this alliance is an indicator that TLC's morality
and values have already changed (probably very gradually over time).

This point has been discussed in the German community alot. I think most
Germans are of the opinion that TLC really has a problem in quality (and
value) loss in the whole range.

Lego used to produce none-violent high-quality toys for children. Most of us
have "inherited" used Lego toys from parents and relatives around. And we will
be able to reach our stuff forward to the next generation. That's what I mean
with quality on the one hand. On the other hand Lego toys have always had a
high moralic standard and offered a high playability (play with it without
getting bored).

I think, these qualities are really in danger to get lost!

While Lego bricks used to have a tolerance of less than a hundreds of a
millimeter, today the bricks look sometimes like this (with a 0,6 mm gap
between two bricks from 7171!):
This quality standard of bricks is not acceptable in my eyes.

Next point is the decreasing quality of playability: I think I do not have to
talk about town junior again. Today it's even worse the whole town line
consists out of only one single building: the fire station.

Third point is the moralic point: why are there (with exception of belville +
scala) just violent themes left (ok, you can tell market wants them now). I
have several hundred Lego weapons in my collection. The race games (and sets)
are ruled by kicking your enemies from the road...
Why are there dozens of wild creatures: crocodiles, dinos, spiders, polar
bears, sharks, snakes, etc, but the only pets (in the minifig scale) are a cat
and a horse. Where are cows, dogs, pigs and other? Is Lego a none-violent toy?
What's the difference between bionicles and pokemon? Lego is not leader, but
copies other brands ideas...

Ok, market seems to demand these things, but maybe Lego will get rid of its
reputation (once the values are lost) and how will they hold market without
their good reputation?. I think Lego should have an eye not only at the
momentary market, but also into further future. What we have seen in the fall
2001 catalogue a few days ago has been horrible in my eyes....

Just my small thoughts on this....

Is that bad?  I don't know.  All I know is that it disappoints me.  And maybe
I'm wrong.  I invite other perspectives.

Maybe the disappointment is also part of growing up and realizing that LEGO
is not just a toy but also a multinational company with an eye on the bottom
line.

Could be a possible answer to my questions above.
What will be the result: till now I buy same amounts of used and new Lego
bricks. I could make up the decision to stop buying new sets. :-(

Leg Godt!

Ben