 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1623
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:38:06 GMT

It was me (I ?) that posted that, and I stand by it.  It is based on the
behavior of Microsoft in the past with respect to competitors or enhancers to
MS-DOS and later Windows.  It has happened many times: a developer writes a
cool utility or enhancement for DOS or Windows, and next thing they know,
Microsoft is knocking on their door.  The developer is offered next-to-nothing
for their product.  If they don't sell, Microsoft will include their own
in-house version in the next roll-out of their OS anyway, and then who will
want to buy the 3rd party software?  How do you think Disk Defragmenter got
built into Windows?  Where do you think the "free" Internet Explorer came from?
  Windows is so loaded down with "features" because Microsoft saw a way to
control another part of the market.

It doesn't have to be in the press release for even a casual follower of the
technology industry to realize that TLG should be _very_ careful when dealing
with Microsoft on any level.  They have their own line of computer-connected
toys.  So, in a way, TLG is already competing with Microsoft's products.

I truly hope it doesn't happen.  But it has happened too many times in the past
to look at it through rose-colored glasses and think it can't happen to TLG.  I
wish TLG well, but they should watch their back .

James Wilson

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
<snip>
For instance, someone posted:
"They will likely roll the Mindstorms software into the next version of • Windows"

On what information was this based? What part of the press release even
talked about the Mindstorms software, or any other software for that matter??