 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1644
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:45:59 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
All,

Let me first say that this post is from an AFOL that happens to know quite a
bit about the Microsoft relationship. Brad is putting together a post to
talk about the details of the alliance as we speak. However, in the
meantime, I want to calm the storm a little.

OK..

First, let me say, LEGO has *not* sold its soul. Despite what some might
think about the company, Microsoft is not the devil, anymore than IBM, P&G,
Pepsi or any other big company is.

Well in the case of IBM 'it woz robbed' ;-) of its 'evil' status in popular
opnion by the ongoing hysteria about the other firms...

Second, let me say, LEGO has partnered with Microsoft on a much more content
centric basis. In fact, much of the partnership involves MSN, not
technology.

OK so MSN is a content provider...

There has been absolutely nothing agreed to about the RCX being
recoded,

Besides I am not sure Windows Ce would run on something a simple as the RCX
chip?
And if that were going to happen Why on earth would Lego relase the SDK for
fan-review?!!! and then award a prize for finding bugs!.
all gaming software made only for PCs, or any other Dr. Evil type
hopes of world domination. Today *is not* the day to wear black.

It's franchise coffe not MS you need to worry about....;-)

As an AFOL, I have to say that it was embarrassing seeing the front page of
LUGNET actually call out this relationship as a "Pact with the devil".
Regardless of your feelings for or against MS, they *are not* the source of
all evil in the universe.

No, If you listen to some people the WTO,US govt,McDonalds,Oil intrests are
evil. All a matter of perspective and viewpoint...

Further, it was saddened to me that there was discussion about LEGO losing
its morality over this. Absolutely none of the values of TLC have been
compromised, given up, or adulterated in any way because of this alliance. I
am not really sure where that thinking came from.

Please think rationally about this event. Regardless of any personal slant
about the underlying social issues, the fact remains that Microsoft and MSN
have a huge reach. LEGO partnered with them to extend awareness for our own
brand.

Like it... use thier image to generate your own!!
Perhaps MS will learn something from you?..

It is frustrating trying to keep the group informed of TLC happenings when
so many *massive* and unsupported assumptions are made. I have a hard time
keeping up with valid issues involving the AFOL community when *so* *so*
many posts are made based on an assumption made 10 posts ago and has just
snowballed into something so far off base that there is no longer even a
shred or reality in it.

Agreed, Mass. Hysteria is a dangerous obession... (Hmm.. Pun ;-) )

For instance, someone posted:
"They will likely roll the Mindstorms software into the next version of Windows"

On what information was this based? What part of the press release even
talked about the Mindstorms software, or any other software for that matter??

And beside TLG might hold a patent on RCS technology.
Given the way you have protected them in the past you wouldn't give them up
easily.

In summary let me just say, everyone at TLC still has their souls intact.
They made no blood oaths. And I certainly am not the same Jacob wrestling
with the devil!

Jake McKee