 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1672
Re: 7171 tolerance (was: Not at all a pact with the devil... (values of TLC))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 05:03:16 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Ross Crawford writes:

Reinhard "Ben" Beneke <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message
While Lego bricks used to have a tolerance of less than a hundreds of a
millimeter, today the bricks look sometimes like this (with a 0,6 mm gap
between two bricks from 7171!):
This quality standard of bricks is not acceptable in my eyes.

I just checked this out, cos I hadnt seen a 7171 before. It's difficult to
tell conclusively from the image, but it looks to me like the studs still
line up fairly closely. So maybe theres a reason why they reduced the width
of this part? I can't think of one, but that doesn't mean there isn't
one....

This bracket part is in many sets.

I think what occurs is this:

The 1x2 plate on top is quite precisely a 1x2 plate. If you stack 1x2 plates
on top of the example given, you will see how close they fit the bracket

However, the surface is not quite level! The two new 1x2 plates are
diverging in a V, making a growing gap. It is possible to push them
together--but then if you push down on the 1x4 "plate" hugging the outside
of the brick you open up the gap again.

The 1x2 to 1x4 plate 90 degree angle bracket is uniquely shaped to apply
force in a way that shears the stud bindings in only one direction.
Ordinarily, no such machine is applied and you don't notice the average gap
that occurs. But here, the gap is perhaps forced to be twice as wide.

Or I'm wrong and Lego parts are more imprecise than we thought.

-Erik