 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1618
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:40:52 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kirby Warden writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
All,

Let me first say that this post is from an AFOL that happens to know quite a
bit about the Microsoft relationship. Brad is putting together a post to
talk about the details of the alliance as we speak. However, in the
meantime, I want to calm the storm a little.

    I'm not so sure you helped a whole lot.
    Please, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'll explain.
    I won't assume anything about you personnaly here, I just want to
explain why I think the feedback became so negative.
    As a collective, everyone here on Lugnet probably at one time or
another has see or heard about large companies merging.  These mergings have
often benefitted the corporate executives within and truly has led to huge
profit increases.  unfortunately, there has almost alwalys been some change
invoked because of the merge.

AFAIK there is no official mention of the two companies merging or MS buying
TLC, please point me to the source of this info otherwise this is one of the
'wild speculations' Jake was talking about.

<snipped all the stuff about merging companies>

If I'm correct we're talking about a 'partnership'. MS asked LEGO as
developer for software for the X-Box and perhaps info on how to market their
products towards kids. In exchange MS gives LEGO the opportunity to make use
of the MSN userbase to market their products to.
Brad will probably (hopefully) be more clear about what the real conditions
of the deal are.

    The fears expressed here are justified.  As someone else said in one of
the posts to this discusion, we are AFOLs 24hrs a day, 7 days a week as
opposed to most Lego execs.  We buy Legos, for ourselves or for our
children, especially when they can't afford to pay for Lego products themselves.
    It is unfortunate that you cannot disclose more on the press releases
immediately following there relese.  It is also unfortunte that you don't
seem to take your work home with you long enough to keep up with these
discussions.  There is little reason why you cannot post to Lugnet every
other day or so simply to stimmy these type of discussions that quickly get
out of hand.
If you claim to be an AFOL, then you must understand we do
more than just play with Legos, we keep ourselves informed about the company
and share ideas and fears based on what we know or assume.  There are some
highly educated people frequenting Lugnet and they have very good ideas
about why Lego and Microsoft are merging, however they are just ideas being
freely discussed.

Please read this message first before making claims about Jake not being an
AFOL: http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=839
As the operator of Bricks on the Brain I guess Jake knows the AFOL community
quite well.

    Your viewpoints may not reflect that of your employer?  Sounds to me
like you are not much more informed than we are.

Like he already mentioned Brad was writing a post with details, the content
of Jake's post was not intended to inform us about the details but IMO to
try to stop the spreading of 'speculations' until the details are posted by
Brad.

We will continue to buy
Legos with or without your attempts to calm our fears until the Lego company
strays too far from the bricks.

Me too :-) and I'm not in fear that TLC moves away from the bricks too much.

-Frank