 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1615
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:11:21 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
All,

Let me first say that this post is from an AFOL that happens to know quite a
bit about the Microsoft relationship. Brad is putting together a post to
talk about the details of the alliance as we speak. However, in the
meantime, I want to calm the storm a little.

     I'm not so sure you helped a whole lot.
     Please, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'll explain.
     I won't assume anything about you personnaly here, I just want to
explain why I think the feedback became so negative.
     As a collective, everyone here on Lugnet probably at one time or
another has see or heard about large companies merging.  These mergings have
often benefitted the corporate executives within and truly has led to huge
profit increases.  unfortunately, there has almost alwalys been some change
invoked because of the merge.  Usually loss of jobs is the immediate change,
and Lego has already shared its desire to shed some manpower (sorry, I don't
have the link to that article at hand, but there was a large discussion
about that as well).  With the current trend of bad decisions the Lugnet
community has observed through Lego, there now appears to be a doomsday
premonition shared by all concerned.
     The comments and suggestions that you stated had no source, came from
the fear that Lego is failing and will do what ever neccesary to survive and
continue earning a yearly profit, even merge with other companies...this is
the trend in Big Buisness.
     The fears expressed here are justified.  As someone else said in one of
the posts to this discusion, we are AFOLs 24hrs a day, 7 days a week as
opposed to most Lego execs.  We buy Legos, for ourselves or for our
children, especially when they can't afford to pay for Lego products themselves.
     It is unfortunate that you cannot disclose more on the press releases
immediately following there relese.  It is also unfortunte that you don't
seem to take your work home with you long enough to keep up with these
discussions.  There is little reason why you cannot post to Lugnet every
other day or so simply to stimmy these type of discussions that quickly get
out of hand.  If you claim to be an AFOL, then you must understand we do
more than just play with Legos, we keep ourselves informed about the company
and share ideas and fears based on what we know or assume.  There are some
highly educated people frequenting Lugnet and they have very good ideas
about why Lego and Microsoft are merging, however they are just ideas being
freely discussed.
     Your viewpoints may not reflect that of your employer?  Sounds to me
like you are not much more informed than we are.  We will continue to buy
Legos with or without your attempts to calm our fears until the Lego company
strays too far from the bricks.

     ~Kirby~

First, let me say, LEGO has *not* sold its soul. Despite what some might
think about the company, Microsoft is not the devil, anymore than IBM, P&G,
Pepsi or any other big company is.

Second, let me say, LEGO has partnered with Microsoft on a much more content
centric basis. In fact, much of the partnership involves MSN, not
technology. There has been absolutely nothing agreed to about the RCX being
recoded, all gaming software made only for PCs, or any other Dr. Evil type
hopes of world domination. Today *is not* the day to wear black.

As an AFOL, I have to say that it was embarrassing seeing the front page of
LUGNET actually call out this relationship as a "Pact with the devil".
Regardless of your feelings for or against MS, they *are not* the source of
all evil in the universe.

Further, it was saddened to me that there was discussion about LEGO losing
its morality over this. Absolutely none of the values of TLC have been
compromised, given up, or adulterated in any way because of this alliance. I
am not really sure where that thinking came from.

Please think rationally about this event. Regardless of any personal slant
about the underlying social issues, the fact remains that Microsoft and MSN
have a huge reach. LEGO partnered with them to extend awareness for our own
brand.

It is frustrating trying to keep the group informed of TLC happenings when
so many *massive* and unsupported assumptions are made. I have a hard time
keeping up with valid issues involving the AFOL community when *so* *so*
many posts are made based on an assumption made 10 posts ago and has just
snowballed into something so far off base that there is no longer even a
shred or reality in it.

For instance, someone posted:
"They will likely roll the Mindstorms software into the next version of Windows"

On what information was this based? What part of the press release even
talked about the Mindstorms software, or any other software for that matter??

In summary let me just say, everyone at TLC still has their souls intact.
They made no blood oaths. And I certainly am not the same Jacob wrestling
with the devil!

Jake McKee

Note: The views expressed here, do not necessarily represent the views of my
employer