 General / 7099
Re: Lego man
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:55:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Adam Howard writes:
Hi Everyone,

I'm one of those 'closeted Lego shoppers' too.  I hate going into TRU or
Wal-mart and buying out half their Lego stock.  Kind-of embarrassing -all
the strange looks people give you.  But I just ignore it, look them in the
face (expression- 'What the H*** are you looking at') and go on.  Sometimes
it is difficult though.  Just last year I was buying a lot of Legos from
TRU's in the Chicago area.  I had visited one about three days in a row and
the last time I checked out, the cashier (some 19 year old) looked over his
shoulder and pointed to me.  At that point another cashier down the line
looked at me and started to giggle.  Then my cashier gave me a goofy look
and started ringing me up.  I've never been so ticked off in my life.  Why
the heck should they care what I spend my money on?  And they certainly
shouldn't do this to a regular customer who spends several thousand dollars
a year at TRU's, regardless of what they buy.

I've gotten looks, but from other customers rather than employees.  Usually I
use it as an opportunity to tell them about the hobby and the community, or to
answer some quesitons they have about the product.

But there is NO REASON to be ashamed :)  I am open about my Lego hobby in my
high school even.  Yes, I get a few laughs, but I really don't mind them,
cause its all done in good fun.  I haven't found anyone really who looked down
on me for playing with toys still.  In fact, of the friends from school I've
had over, I haven't had one of them *not* be impressed with my creations or my
web projects.  A lot think its the coolest thing since sliced bread!

I do also wear my two Legoland shirts, a short sleeve shirt and a nice knit
fleece embroidered with the logo to school and in public.  Yes, I've gotten
some comments on them :)

Maybee I need to join a Legoholics Anonymous group for support.  Of course
that's what this group is :)

Thanks everyone, for making me feel normal about still enjoying Lego as an
adult.

Its totally ok.  Seriously, don't be embarrassed.  My bedroom is covered with
Legos, a LOT of TLG sets and MOCs sitting out on tables, shelves, and on my
computer desk and bookshelves above it.  I also have Castle, Aquazone,
Pirates, and Ice Planet posters hanging along with my new bright red Lego logo
sign in my bedroom.  People come in and gasp at what's around - and nearly
half the collection is stored away.

People were quite accepting at the Lego expo Saturday when after seeing the
Zacktron models Brandon and I explained we hadn't grown out of the hobby.  And
it was exciting hearing the comments from the kids on the models as well, and
provided mixed feelings on upsetting the balance of skill level at the
contest :,

-Tim <><