 General / 7098
7097  |  7099
Subject:
An evening with Larry Pieniazek.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:35:36 GMT

Larry Pieniazek was in the Detroit metro area yesterday, and stopped by
for the evening.  After reading all of his posts, as well as the flamage
going his way, I didn't know what to expect.  Well, he was quite unlike
that tough exterior that he shows in the newsgroups. He was very
pleasant and friendly.

We spent the evening talking about any of the rest of you that he has
met in the past, looking at photo's of the GMLTC (wow!), and just LEGO
in general.  And then we rummaged thru my Lego collection.  He brought
his camera, and was just snapping away.  Of course I was somewhat
embarrased, since I am about 200,000 pieces behind in sorting.  Anyway I
took him on a tour of the Samsonite sets, the Architectural sets, the
European parts packs, and my "inventory".  He took a few photos of some
of my (yet to be seen) buildings such as the Neo-Gothic Fire Station,
two of my movie palaces, and some of my medieval buildings (including
the finished facade of the New Cathedral).   I gave him a bunch of old
stuff from my inventory (I won't bore you with all the details) and he
gave me a Maersk truck, God bless him.   There were some stuff I had
that he hadn't seen since he was a kid in the 60's.  I let him check out
some of the old catalogs and Idea Books as well.  He took me out to
dinner, and we discussed the future of Lego (bulk sales, the direction
of the company, etc).

I'm sure that he's still absorbing everthing that he saw last night, and
that we'll be doing some trades (Shell embossed signage?) in the future.

All in all, a great evening with Lar.

Gary Istok