 Off-Topic / Fun / 2750
Re: An evening with Larry Pieniazek.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:31:13 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.general, Steve Campbell writes:
Gary Istok wrote:

Larry Pieniazek was in the Detroit metro area yesterday, and stopped by
for the evening.  After reading all of his posts, as well as the flamage
going his way, I didn't know what to expect.  Well, he was quite unlike
that tough exterior that he shows in the newsgroups. He was very
pleasant and friendly.

And Gary's pretty neat, kind gentle, smart, etc. Not what I expected a
mainframe programmer to be like <grins, ducks and runs> at all.

snip

You know, a lot of us don't have that kind of opportunity. I mean, sure,
more power to Gary and all but I don't think i need my nose rubbed in it.

"I got to play with Larry and none of you did, nyah nyah,"

I think you should have just kept it to yourself.

Unless you could come up with a plan that would give us ALL access to
Larry in the future. Like maybe if we could call up Larry and order as
much of Larry as we want. But of course THAT won't happen any time soon
as Larry moves toward more seniorization.

I don't think that's being entirely fair.  I don't think we can get mad at
Gary just because he took advantage of an opportunity that came his way.  I
think the real target of your ire should be Larry himself, for not providing
that opportunity for anyone.  I mean, it's not like we wouldn't take him out
to dinner too - no one's looking for a free Larry here - but since the rest of
us have access restricted to what we can get from the newsgroups and e-mail,
it's really the way that Larry runs his time that is to blame.  And as long as
Larry remains private, there's not really a lot of say that the rest of us
have.  All we can do is continue to gripe, and hope that someday Larry wakes
up and starts offering a bulk time ordering service.

OK, OK, it (a time ordering service) is on my list of webpage
enhancements. Right after the live webcam to give realtime updates of
how big the pile of unsorted pieces in my basement is.

All kidding aside, Gary has some really really neat stuff. And a lot of
his buildings just are not done justice by pictures. The pictures make
you go "Wow!" but seeing it in the flesh makes you faint dead away.

Dunno when I will get scans up, but some of what I took pictures of is
of historic interest (Gary's Junior constructor, WITH dividers, original
instructions, and the actual cellulose acetate house that the set
builds, all his different original windows, his parts accessory boxes)
some is new never before seen buildings, and some is of interest to see
how things change (he re-engineered the yellow/blue town hall, it got
bigger!).

Gary is doing things like using 375 (yellow castle) boxes and other
rare/valuable boxes for storing pieces in! I told him he probably could
sell off the box(es) and buy a BUNCH of bins instead.

Problem is, Gary's house isn't really well set up to have scads of
people over, it's almost as disorganized downstairs as mine is. So I got
pretty lucky to be able to slot in and see it all.

lugnet.

Thanks Lar.  Glad you liked my buildings.

And I wasn't trying to rub anyone else's nose in this.  You've encountered a lot of
bad press here in the newsgroups lately, and I just wanted to make it plain to
anyone who hasn't met you personally that you're much better in person than you are
in print (heh-heh).

Now for getting some bins to put my spare parts into.  Then I can have a major
Box/Catalog sale.  I may even put a few sets back together for sale (148, 149, 396,
455, 760, 6075, 6390) since the contents/stickers have never been played with.

Gary Istok