 General / 7042
Re: Lego man
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 00:23:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tom Stangl writes:
HA!  Never!  If they ask who it's for, I say it's for ME!  When I bought 32
Halloween buckets at once, several people asked me on the way out if I was a
teacher, I told them "No, I'm shipping these all over the world to other • Lego fans
that can't get them".

Good for you, Tom!  I have to admit I generally wander in and out of TRU
feeling
a bit embarrassed and hoping none of the assistants will notice me spending 20
minutes eyeing up all the Lego. I'm quite open about Lego to all my friends
(well
it's kinda hard not to be when they walk into your room and there's huge
cardboard boxes piled high with Lego sets)

I still squirm at the memory of two years ago
when I found a 6339 Shuttle Launch Pad and a 6543
Sail N Fly Marina in a little toy shop, and went to get them. I had some
friends with me,
and they made quite sure that the shop assistant got informed that all this
Lego was for *me*.
The shop also had one old 6991 monorail set left in stock. When a few months
later I
had got the money together to buy it I went alone - but the shop assistant
still recognised me.

That same shop still has another Sail N Fly Marina sitting there. I keep
swaying between
the fact that I don't actually need another one and the horror of rare out-of-
date Lego getting
wasted sitting on the shelf [1].  I think that shop assistant isn't there any
more - which I guess
shifts the odds a bit more in favour of my getting it <grin>

[1] when it could be getting wasted sitting in a box in my cupboard under the
stairs instead...
btw I haven't offered to get it for anyone because not only am I in the UK so
high shipping
costs for most of you, but from what I've seen in auctions, this set still
goes in auctions for
less than its original retail price - so I don't think there'd be much point.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com