 General / 7096
Re: Lego man
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:54:37 GMT

Adam,

Hey, I understand that all too well. I was 17 at the time, my last year of high
school, and I went to Meijer:

http://www.meijer.com

(Shameless plug in for my second job! :) )

and bought the 6399, Airport Shuttle. I worked 40 hours, (A no-no to child labor
laws, but we were really shorthanded for help, and my mom let me, she was the
manager) and I had the money for it. So I went to Meijer with my friend, and
found it, and went to the express lane. I put it on the belt, and the cashier
looked up, and said,
CASHIER: "Are you buying this for your brother or something?"
ME: "No, I am buying it for myself."
CASHIER: "Aren't you a little old to be PLAYING with LEGO'S?"
ME: Enraged: "I don't think it is any of your business, ma'am, what I buy here."

When I was a cashier, I didn't say one word about purchases the guests bought,
because it is rude. "Wow, you are buying some condoms, are you gonna do it?"
It is aggravating to go into some stores and buy things, but what can you do? I
buy a lot of LEGO's now from Meijer (They have a system called U-Scan, where you
can pretty much ring up your own stuff), or the internet, and from SAHS. I am
going more to the internet now simply because of convenience. (For example, I
bought a Mini-Disc recorder on the internet, $50.00 cheaper than Best Buy, and
Best Buy has been out of stock for weeks!)

Most cashiers are indifferent, but some aren't. Hopefully, one day SAHS or
another LEGO distributor will start making me shop online rather than standing
online! Don't worry, ADam, I am sure most of us AFOL's have similar stories!
Have great day!

Scott S.

Adam Howard wrote:

snipped Adam's post for brevity
--
Scott E. Sanburn
CADD Operator, CADD Systems Administrator

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/
Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/index.html
Lego Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/legoindex.html

“The more people I meet, the more I like my Lego collection.”