 General / 7095
Re: Lego Expo at the Toy Connection (Crystal Lake, IL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:21:15 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote in message
<4.2.0.58.19990828225829.00a6e5e0@pop.osiriscomm.com>...

[ ... snipped ... ]

When Matt and his wife started packing up, I did ask if I could pay for
some of the pieces there I wanted.  He instead offered to me whatever I
wanted from the pile of several thousand pieces.  So I acquired a couple
hundred or so nice pieces, minifigs, and some rare pieces as well
:)  Brandon and I each also got the large Lego logo posters like they have
hanging in toy stores - which are about 24" square and out of hard
cardboard.  Mine will hang in my room as soon as I put up some nails for it • :)

I had a similar experience last summer.  At one of the events for the LEGO
Silver Anniversary a local toy store had half a dozen buckets of pieces
dumped out on the floor.  Kids (and adults too) were invited to build a
model to be displayed in front of the store.  My son (then age three) and I
built a car out of mostly grey and black pieces.  After the model was
completed the woman running the event (I think she was with TLG but might
have been with the toy store) took a picture of Travis with the model and
gave him a certificate.

When it came time for us to leave and the car "stayed", Travis didn't
understand as he thought it was his and began to cry.  The woman saw how
upset he was and picked the car up from the display and gave it to him.  It
was really nice of her and I really appreciated it.  Late in the afternoon
is not the ideal time to try and explain this process to a three year old.
I tried to pay her for it but she would have none of it.  It was a nice
collection of black and grey pieces, mostly plates and a couple of six wide
sloped pieces I have since learned are commonly used on trains.

Glad to hear someone else had a similar experience.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh