 General / 7092
7091  |  7093
Subject:
Lego Expo at the Toy Connection (Crystal Lake, IL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:22:14 GMT

The Lego expo at the Toy Connection Saturday was a great success!  I went
with Brandon Grifford (Zacktron co-creator) and took about an hour, hour
and a half trip to get there [1].  Remy Evard from Lugnet was there along
with Matt Chasse, TLG representative.

There was a table of bricks laid out outside for people to build with, and
some kids were building models for entry in the contest.  The store held a
model contest and many kids built entries outside with the Legos provided
by the table.  Brandon and I brought 4 Zacktron models (2 unreleased) - his
Mad Dog mech, Panther gunship, and my TSF-1 Revoker and E-43 Transport
models (both released on the Zacktron site) to enter in the contest.  One
kid brought a semi truck he made from home with a trailer and a working
engine under the hood (turned when the wheels turned).  The model was
really nice, though made out of mostly basic blocks.

While talking to Matt, the TLG rep, I did get to learn quite a bit about
the company and their future plans.  He explained the whole company went
through a reorganization and cleaning out.  It was in disarray
beforehand.  He said that different products will be developed in different
parts of the world as well.  Mindstorms will be in Silicon Valley, System
in the UK, and some others in the states and in Denmark.  Also, their plans
are to be the #1 household brand for children by 2005 (if I remember
correctly).  They're expanding their lines into  luggage and clothing
within a few years.

For you Star Wars fans, it is confirmed that TLG *will* release the
Millennium Falcon as a set for the 2000 line.  Also, the Star Wars license
is for 9 years, completely spanning the 3 new movies to be made.

Overall, the toy store is a wonderful place.  Its about 40 feet deep by 20
wide.  They have an excellent selection of Legos, especially larger sets
like trains, the Droid Developer Kit, Technic, and the $80 range System
sets.  They have a large amount of dolls, stuffed animals, matchbox and the
like as well.  Along with lots of nifty little knick-nacks.  If you're in
the Chicago area, I'd HIGHLY reccommend it - their site is at
http://www.toycon.com and they have 4 locations.

When Matt and his wife started packing up, I did ask if I could pay for
some of the pieces there I wanted.  He instead offered to me whatever I
wanted from the pile of several thousand pieces.  So I acquired a couple
hundred or so nice pieces, minifigs, and some rare pieces as well
:)  Brandon and I each also got the large Lego logo posters like they have
hanging in toy stores - which are about 24" square and out of hard
cardboard.  Mine will hang in my room as soon as I put up some nails for it :)

[1] got my temporary yellow 'drivers license' on the way too :P (a la
speeding ticket)

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

Commonwealth Edison: What do you do with OUR power?

Get paid to surf the web!  Visit:
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=DGO655