 General / 50271
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET---WHY SWEAR?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:31:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Jordan wrote:
In lugnet.general, Scott Lyttle wrote:
(snip)

The true master of language doesn't place any word in the English vocabulary off
limits. In some cases, the rude word is just the correct one. Just ask Chaucer,
William Shakespeare, DH Lawrence, or Henry James. Stupid use of a cuss word is
pathetic, whereas correct use can be very funny, touchingly tender or
devastatingly direct.

However, the need to use a "cuss" word should be vanishingly rare on Lugnet
since the main topic of discussion is not sex or religion, and we try to be
polite when addressing differences of opinion.

I agree completely--like I said before, it should be about self policing
ourselves.  My big concern is that some of the younger audience might be
reading.  If children repeat what they read, then we may have parents having
issues with Lugnet.  While technically it isn't up to us to prevent children
from hearing  cuss words and the like, it would make a lot better sense here to
exhibit our concerns in a constructive manner without using them--just an issue
of politeness.  Granted, you'll hear me swear quite a few times--but never in
front of kids.  I just don't think it's proper. (believe me, I grew up with an
Italian stepfather whose every other word was cussing and swearing, so I'm
plenty familiar with them, it both English AND Italian!!)

Scott Lyttle