 General / 50264
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET---WHY SWEAR?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general

Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 04:50:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Lyttle wrote:
(snip)

two words:  WHY SWEAR?

My experience has been that people who swear continually aren't intelligent
enough to come up with a better word to use in their vocabulary. (I figure I'm
going to get some nasty comments from that statement..let's see how many have
profanity in them...)

The true master of language doesn't place any word in the English vocabulary off
limits. In some cases, the rude word is just the correct one. Just ask Chaucer,
William Shakespeare, DH Lawrence, or Henry James. Stupid use of a cuss word is
pathetic, whereas correct use can be very funny, touchingly tender or
devastatingly direct.

However, the need to use a "cuss" word should be vanishingly rare on Lugnet
since the main topic of discussion is not sex or religion, and we try to be
polite when addressing differences of opinion.