 General / 50245
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general

Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:43:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
What continually amazes me is how Lugnet has people accusing it of being
'Orwellian', 'draconian' and the like.  Yet on Classic-Castle, 1000Steine.de,
CSF and other places - if you curse, you don't necessarily get an email, you
don't necessarily get a warning - you post is editted by an admin directly,
whether you like it or not.  Lugnet has always given the choice to you.

Perhaps some folks would rather be explicitely controlled than to be scolded. I
think it is partially a psychological expression. One the one hand "we don't put
up with this here and we do whatever is necessary *immediately* to modify
incorrect behaviour" vs "we point it out to you, twist your arm a bit, and try
to get you to see the light and do it our way". I have no opinion about which is
better or worse, just that some folks will react more positively to one and some
to the other approach. It may be a D'ed if you do and D'ed if you don't kind of
situation.

I'm frustrated, because if Lugnet changes policy, it won't be to one where
anyone can post whatever they want.  That has failed, feel free to browse any of
the various flame wars from the past year to see why we think so.  If policy
changes, it will be towards forced editting of posts, forced deletion of posts -
to a system just like those in place at Eurobricks, FBTB, Classic-Castle,
1000steine, Classic-Space Forums, etc etc etc.

If you end up doing that, please provide a back link to a copy of the original
unmodified post. My thought here is that it would provide a modicum of
free-speech while allowing the more visible post to conform to the standards-of
decency that are being dissiminated by the admins.

Ray