 General / 50261
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general

Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:31:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:

<snip>

I ask everyone in this thread who found it necessary to intentionally disregard
the language rule to rethink their post, and request a cancel and repost. You
can get your point across without the language.

Would it surprise you if I wrote that I agree with most of what you wrote?

The thing is that some long standing Lugnet members are getting very upset about
getting threatening email regarding what may have been a comment in passing.
This fact alone should tell you that something might be wrong with the way
things are done.

<snip>

I realize that it's the admins choice to enforce the rules as they see fit and
respect that right.  I'm thankful that the relationship between the admins and
the masses is such that I can offer my opinion and I know that it will be
considered.  It is my hope that with this discussion the people on both sides of
this issue will be able to compromise since the loss of a Lugnet member,
especially one as prominent as Willy, is always a bad occurrence should be
avoided with all reasonable efforts.

-Orion

And the voice of reason.

Thanks Orion for stating it succinctly.

As a continuation of a few points, not that I was looking for an e-mail, but I
did not receive one for my post earlier today.  It's not as if the admins
haven't gotten around to reading it yet, for some have posted here in this very
thread after my post so they have.

So where does that put the 'equality'?  Why did Willy receive an e-mail
requesting his cancellation, whereas i did not?  Again, it wasn't as if I was
expecting one, but this is one of the reasons why this 'ad hoc' searching for
'bad words' isn't going to work well--"We'll let that one slip (for whatever
reason, could be legit), but we'll catch this one".  It creates a divisive
atmosphere, with some feeling they're 'unduly picked on whilst others 'get away
with it''.

Simple solution is stated--autofilter on posting (if we can get the programming
expertise).  If LUGNET's policy is to not have cussing, then having #$%#%
replace the cuss words is a perfectly acceptable solution--children should have
no problem seeing ##$@#$.

Furthermore, the computer will apply 'the rulz' equally and without malice.
Where the admins would come in is if folks are trying to 'wiggle around' the
autofilter by using whatever means to post bad words.

Here's something that jsut occurred to me--I have a friend that grew up in a
house where the kids weren't allowed to call each other 'bad names' like "hey
stupid!" or "you're dumb!" so the kids came up with a way around 'da rulz'--they
said when they were upset/angry/short with someone else, or when someone did
something foolish--"You're *pretty*" and the word 'pretty' was said extremely
sarcastically.  That conveyed the same meaning as "you're stupid!".

Eh, throwing it out there.

I do agree that I would not like to see Carlin's big 7 posted here at LUGNET,
but I handle that the same way as I believe that Capital Punishment doesn't work
and should be outlawed systematically--doesn't rule out the following
scenario--if I happen to be in a room with a guy from St. Catharines and there
was a gun there, only one of us would leave that room alive.

Dave K