 General / 44465
  Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

All I can say is, "LEGO, what were you thinking??" You've completely wiped neutral grey out of the color palete, and replaced it with blue-grey. I did see one piece that looked good in the new blue-grey, the binoculars the stormtrooper is carrying (...) (21 years ago, 15-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

In lugnet.general, John Gerlach wrote: snip (...) And while your at it, please shop at BrickLink... I just checked the BL inventory of those two colors (if would only give me a lot total, not a pc count)... 19782 lots of new parts in DkGray 24155 (...) (21 years ago, 15-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Believe me, I shop at Bricklink!! Unfortunately, since I've been unemployed for a while I can't buy nearly as much as I'd like... Gotta worry about paying the mortgage before I can beging to think about buying more bricks! JohnG, GMLTC (21 years ago, 15-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) No need for sarcasm, John, but I agree with your premise. The department carrying on "focus research" is about as clueless and out of touch as it possibly can be. How can the opinions of a few dozen focus group kids provide any meaningful (...) (21 years ago, 15-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Tsk, tsk. Priorities, man! ;-) JOHN (21 years ago, 15-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) I agree! It's good themes and play value that sell sets; not varying shades of grey in this manner! Scott A Have you had a look at Arthurs Seat Yet? (2 URLs) (21 years ago, 15-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Does this sound familiar??? Q22: ….Lego direct is targeted towards an older audience, how does this affect the rest of LEGO. A22: I don’t agree that Lego Direct is geared towards an older audience. Yes we are doing call them collectable but we (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) I think that's overstating the problem, just a little. There are plenty of rocks, stones, even castles that are quite a "metallic" colour of grey. Yes, the old dark grey did have a nice "organic" feel to it, but really I don't think that the (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Our point is, Ahui, that the two do not necessarily have to be mutually exclusive! They can kill two birds with one stone and make everyone happy, as long as the right hand knows what plans the left hand has up its sleeve. I think what has (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  My honest opinion Was Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) snip (...) snip (...) This might cause a bit of a furor, and I don't like causing furors... Honestly, I think TLC is going to get their hat handed to them. I dunno if it's that severe, but, from this cheap seat, the writing's on the wall. I (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: My honest opinion Was Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Honestly, (...) that (...) display of (...) LEGO (...) LEGO (...) company. (...) David, I could not agree with you more. I have mentioned the MB Dragons display several times. At Toys R Us, you have to pass it as you enter the Lego / MB aisle. (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: My honest opinion Was Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) "Display cases??? ... Display cases??? ... Display cases!!! ... AH THAT'S IT!!!" Why on this earth didn't those in marketing say such words rather than invest so much time, energy, and money to change the color? (...) I have to agree with you (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) I thought of something else that really bugs me about this color change. Harry Potter sets!! Why? Because so far almost all the HP sets have been designed to work together. Look at the poster that comes in the sets - on the back it shows a (...) (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) I believe that this issue will apply to any ongoing theme. I wonder when the next batch of HP sets are due... Spring/early Summer ? (...) Dare I say it ? "collect the entire set (of colors)" < g, d & r > The issue that I still havn't (...) (21 years ago, 17-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

SNIP (...) First, I have yet to see the new colors in person. That being said: The only thing I know for sure is that companies (large and small) rarely do anything unless they somehow feel it will increase their profits, marketshare, stockprice, (...) (21 years ago, 17-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

Douglas R. Clark wrote: ... (...) ... Why not? What *POSSIBLE* motive would LEGO have to lie to anyone? If the reason is one of the more plausable ones you suggested elsewhere, it would have been perfectly reasonable for them to have said as much -- (...) (21 years ago, 17-Dec-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) This is a funny quagmire of reasoning. I tend to believe the explanation of the focus group(s). Having worked in statistical sampling (once upon a time), I certainly hope that their sample size (number of children, parents, etc) and controls (...) (21 years ago, 17-Dec-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) I can think of several possible reasons that Lego would lie. Generally companies call it public relations or spin though. The following situations are all hypothetical examples. 1. IF the "real" reason for the color change was that it was (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) It's possible that they haven't lied... but also that they haven't told the whole truth. I do believe the focus group explanation. However, as we've seen time and time again on LUGNET, a poll or question is only as good as the way in which you (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) They would be opening themselves up to lawsuits whether or not they admitted to a problem of this... not divulging this information if it were true would be even worse for them. LEGO's been around too long as a company now to not have regard (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

Fans of TV show "The Simpsons" will remember that a children's focus group resulted in "Poochie" being added to the fictional "Itchy & Scratchy" show in Season 8: --- Focus Group Leader: "How many of you kids would like Itchy & Scratchy to deal with (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) ABS can vary in quality, but it's irrelevant in this example, because MEGABLOKS aren't made from ABS. Dave! (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) (ABS is "Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene" for those that don't remember... it's a polystyrene variant/alloy) What ARE they made of? I was pretty sure they were ABS too, just a different formulation. Are they made of some sort of styrene (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Doh! The clonemeister's been scooped! I thought it had been established somewhere that MEGABLOKS used some lesser manner of styrene other than ABS, but I could easily be mistaken. There was a thread in OT-Clones a while back about Ritvik's (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) If I remember correctly, you asked “What *POSSIBLE* reason would TLC lie?”. Well I gave you some possible reasons. You did not ask for probable, plausible or credible reasons. I answered your question fairly, and you attack me instead? Heck, I (...) (21 years ago, 19-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Tarrabain wrote: <snip> (...) Recently this discussion between Douglas R. Clark and Mark Tarrabain brought up some issues about trust and corporate motivation. It was taken to .debate, but I would like to return it (...) (21 years ago, 19-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Scott A (21 years ago, 19-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Hmmm...it works for me. I also tried going to the main page ((URL) and entering "lego" in the search box. Anyone else having difficultly viewing the article? -- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com (21 years ago, 19-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Works for me now! Thanks. I liked this: "The company said the firings were necessary due to thin business this year and that it expected continuing weak performance in 2004. Lego employs 8,000 people worldwide." Obviously, the company will (...) (21 years ago, 19-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Yep. With the US being a large market for LEGO, I wonder how much the weakness of the USD is affecting TLC ? I'm sure there are all kinds of hedges and plays to protect the repatriation of earnings, but still. Ray (21 years ago, 19-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors

(...) Well, since "business performance" may reasonably be interpreted as the measure of the company's ability to sustain higher profits, it's not really a lie. Further, I don't think it's a sin for a company to be motivated by the desire to make (...) (21 years ago, 19-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)