 General / 39769
Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 02:25:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Alfred Speredelozzi writes:
Well, I think this gets to the point of where Brickshelf is in danger.  The
biggest value to me is in the "network externalities" of the site.  This is
the site where practically _all_ Lego images are found.

Not completely true.  There are other, albeit smaller, galleries, like
1000steine.de and the fbtb.net customs page.  There are also major Lego
builders who don't post to Brickshelf--for instance, I don't think that Eric
Harshberger posts there.

Even people with
sites elsewhere use Brickshelf, so it can be a central point for:
- discovering new building styles
- finding info on what the community is building
and so forth

I just wanted to get some feedback on this.  I'm in the midst of
reorganizing my brickshelf account.  It seemed like a redundancy to have
everything both on my website and on brickshelf, so I cleaned out most of my
brickshelf account.  Now I'm going through and putting up folders
corresponding to each subsection of my website and putting a few pics in
each folder to give a taste of what is on my website, and including a
"please visit www.ozbricks.net/bricktales for more" message in each folder.
In addition I'm putting in a "website updates" folder, and each time I put
new things on my own site, I'll put a few pics in that folder, with a
pointer to my website.  That way a sort of announcement will show up on the
brickshelf "recent" page that points to my new content.

I thought that by doing this I could perhaps use a little less bandwidth on
Brickshelf.  Not that I'm more than a drop in the bucket, but I think if a
lot of people with their own sites would use brickshelf more as a pointer to
their own places it might make a difference.  This would maintain the value
of having one place where you could get a feel for all of the new things on
the web, but it might cut down on the sheer volume of data passed back and
forth across brickshelf every day.

Bruce