 General / 39725
Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 17:59:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
I would MUCH rather see a paid subscription service...

A few ideas to ignore...

1) If folks would use their brickshelf accounts as if they were paying for them
there'd be a lot less bandwidth used. Limits to image and folder sizes have
been suggested before. Other bandwidth-limiting features might also be
possible, like breaking large folders into multiple pages, so people are
encouraged to put their strongest stuff on page one, or not even upload enough
images to go over one page. I once suggested pixel-size/image-size proportion
limits. I find 150K 640x480 images kinda annoying, and I'd find them more
annoying if I was paying to serve them.

2) Restrict auction images and other stuff that Kevin doesn't get a cut of.

3) Charge for deep-linking.

4) How much bandwidth does BS use? Guessing, let's say 100,000 pages per day at
an average of 100,000 bytes/page, or about 10 gig per day. How close am I?
That'd be about $12.50 at the rate I pay for bandwidth, which is inexpensive
enough that maybe folks would be willing to sponsor BS for a day with a
lego-related banner ad. I picture it being used for bricklink stores, auctions,
contest announcements and even personal websites. Even $12.50 might not make
financial sense to a bricklink store, but if the proprietor is also someone who
wants to support BS then it might make sense.

I paid $30 to advertise my personal site when brickshelf had banner ads, got a
lot fewer than 100,000 impressions, and most of it went to someone who is now
spamming me with potty-language "newsletters". I'd be happy to pay that much to
support BS again if it went instead to Kevin, and day-sponsor ads would be
easier to implement than metered, randomly-selected ads.

One barrier to non-commercial banner ads is the creation of the banner. Perhaps
a few folks might be willing to make banners for people, or maybe an online
banner generator would encourage more support.

Just some thoughts.

Amy