 General / 39754
Re: Is Brickshelf slow for anyone else lately?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:48:26 GMT

Well, I think this gets to the point of where Brickshelf is in danger.  The
biggest value to me is in the "network externalities" of the site.  This is
the site where practically _all_ Lego images are found.  Even people with
sites elsewhere use Brickshelf, so it can be a central point for:
- discovering new building styles
- finding info on what the community is building
and so forth

I see two things which allowed brickshelf to become the defacto lego image
archive:
- it was free
- it had almost no restrictions on what could be posted

This made it both 1) accessible to a large group (including kids-they won't
be paying even $1.00 a year)  2) immensely flexible

Now the recent moderation has reduced the flexibility.  If it isn't free in
some acceptable form, then people are just going to go elsewhere, but no
necessarily to the same place.

Anyway, I think Tim's suggestion that it be free (with ads, maybe) but allow
people to pay to not have ads and no moderation might be a good way to keep
the accessibility and flexibility while alleviating the problems Kevin has had.

---
Anyone buy my argument?  Not sure if it works.  I never think through these
posts as much as I would really like.
---

-Alfred

In lugnet.general, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Hi Brian -

In lugnet.general, Brian Tobin writes:
I'd pay $10 per year IN A HEARTBEAT, especially if it could help avoid
advertisments. With the amount of pics I've uploaded in my relatively short
time here, I'd almost feel guilty that $10 is too much of a bargain!

Yup.

Ditto.  Though if the cost is high enough, I'd just bump up my pair.com
account level to compensate for the extra hard drive space I'd need there
and quit using brickshelf.

<snipptiy snip>
Adrian
--