 General / 34713
Re: Selling MOC Instructions? Your Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 23:16:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:
I would suggest you consult an intellectual property attorney before
proceeding.

Good advice.  And I am not such an atty. but here's what I think...

Nor am I, as a note of disclaimer.  Although I have researched copyright law
in the past for other things...

I don't think anyone has patented the "idea" of mechas...

No, considering all the different games and media that use the word "Mech"
and its concept.  Furthermore, the particular Robotech mech that the models
in question may have been based on was already cloned.  I forget the
character name, but there was a white and red jet in Transformers, and a
matching toy that retailed in the late 1980's, that was mostly the same
shape and had the same transorming parts as the Robotech mech.

That being said, I believe that the instructions can be reproduced, under
the one condition that at no point do they or their marketing imply that
they represent Robotech mechs, or any specific mechanoid from a specific
trademark cartoon, story, game, etc.

Again though, if you are really worried, ask a lawyer...

-2 More Cents from Hendo