 General / 34691
Re: Selling MOC Instructions? Your Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 04:06:53 GMT

Sun Yun wrote:
What about Lego trains for instance.  If the Guild models a train that
exists and was designed by some company, is that not a violation of the
intellectual property of that company?

I think technically yes. For the most part, building, automobile, train,
airplane, and ship manufacturers (things which are regularly modeled)
are all pretty open to scale models. These scale models don't cut into
their business at all, and if anything, promote the brand. Railroad
companies are also pretty open to their markings being used on models.
I'm not so sure about retail and fast food outlets. I think they are a
little more tight with their names and logos.

This is an interesting area of IP law, which fortunately everyone seems
to be using common sense and doing the right thing (allowing use for
models, even ones sold commercially). The main thing the model producer
must avoid is any implication that the manufacturer endorses the model
(without a formal agreement to do such).

Frank